TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: A Journey to the Center of Yahoo
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:...while I know that eBay is at heart an auction site and Amazon.com a retailer, I have not been sure what Yahoo "is" - apart, of course, from a company with a $53 billion market value and weekly revenue of more than $90 million, whose sites make up the largest single presence on the Internet and, according to company officials, account for 13 percent of all page views.

Last month, I spent a day at the company's headquarters in Sunnyvale, Calif., asking officials what they had in mind. My visit was prompted by the accelerating stream of new Yahoo offerings, often based on acquisitions. Two years ago, Yahoo had no search engine of its own and licensed Google for its searches. One after another, it bought other leading search companies - notably Inktomi, AltaVista and Overture - and built its own new Web search system, which now rivals Google's in speed and accuracy.

full article: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/06/busine...1131944400&en=51bc93ac777dcdf1&ei=5065&partner=MYWAY