TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Online fraud on the up
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:Internet fraud now accounts for a quarter of all card losses...

Card not present fraud — made up of Internet, phone and mail-order crime — rose by 29 percent in the six months to June, APACS said. This is in contrast to all other forms of card fraud which have declined...

..many UK consumers are not aware of even the basic online pitfalls. One in eight online shoppers has failed to log out when shopping online, leaving their financial details available to others. One in four does not check whether a Web site is safe and secure. And half of 16- to 24-year-olds in the UK do not know what phishing is..

full article: http://news.zdnet.co.uk/internet/securit...940,00.htm
Quote:One in four does not check whether a Web site is safe and secure

...but 3 out of 4 do check for either the padlack icon in their browser or a secure seal  (i.e. GeoTrust, Verisign) on the site.  I've often wondred what percentage of that 3 out of 4 will hit the back button when they come to a site without a padlock icon even if the site is using a secure payment method like PayPal because they think the lack of a padlock icon means their payment won't be secure (umm, let me rephrase that:  PayPal is secure when you're making the payment, but once you pay you have to pray that PayPal doesn't start playing around with the money  Laughing7 ).  Many people are unfamiliar with Paypal and other online payments and probably don't know it is secure.

Quote: And half of 16- to 24-year-olds in the UK do not know what phishing is..

That one is shocking  Dazed012  That is the one age group where I thought almost everyone would be aware of phishing.