TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Safe Online Shopping for the Holiday
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Safe Online Shopping for the Holiday
By Mandy Kung

With technology keeps enhancing, online shopping become much easier and secure. I love shopping online for the convenience and varieties it provides. Do I worry about privacy and security? Of course, I do. That's why when shopping online; there are a few things I must check before placing an order.

Secure Server Site - Make sure the online shopping site is using 128-bit encryption technology. How do do you know? There are 2 ways. When browsing to pages that require entering personal or login information, check the website address if it begins with "https" not "http". Also, there should be a closed lock icon at the bottom right-hand corner of your browser (IE). Why is this important? When your information is transferred to the merchant's server, it goes through many different routers. If your data is not encrypted, network sniffer can easily read and collect your data. What is a network sniffer? Sniffer is a tool, which utilizes network interfaces of computer to capture data packets which destination is other computers. Network sniffers can be used both for legitimate network management functions and for stealing information off a network.Ok.This is getting too technical. If you are interested in knowing more about network sniffer, google "network sniffer" and you will find a lot of information.

Phone Number - Although email is the most common means of communication nowadays, I still prefer deal with companies that do provide a contact phone number just in case. For me, that is basic customer service. If shopping site does not provide that, be extra cautious!

Refund Policy - Make sure the merchant has one and read it through and make sure you understand the terms and am comfortable with it. There is no 1 rule for refund policy. Say, for books & CDs, it is understandable that there is no refund after a few days. This is a judgment call from your part to decide whether the refund policy is reasonable or not.

Privacy Policy - Make sure the shopping site has one and that they DO NOT sell or rent your information to third parties. Make sure your data is private to the merchant. Highly recommend companies that do not store your credit card information.

A few things that I check after placing the order.

Reference Numbers - Write down the payment reference number and order number. These will be the essential information you need if anything goes wrong. Usually, you should receive an order confirmation email with this information. Just in case, if you do not, you still have this information on hand.

Credit Card Statement - If you do your banking online (yeah, I do), the order will usually show up after a few days (after the merchant shipped out your order). Check it and make sure the charge is correct.

Product - Check the product right after you received it. If there is any problems, report to the online shopping site asap as there is usually a time restriction for refund. Don't wait!

That's all! Happy and safe online shopping for the holiday!

Written By Mandy Kung, web editor of Miego Inc. at http://www.miego.com/

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/

I think refund/returns policies and privacy policies are the ones that a lot of people don't (or forget to) add to their stores.  A privacy policy stuck on a web site is no guarantee that your info won't be sold, but it does make people feel more confident when shopping.  Smile  A returns policy helps the store owner.
Quote: When your information is transferred to the merchant's server, it goes through many different routers. If your data is not encrypted, network sniffer can easily read and collect your data.

Card information is more at risk when you give your card to  a waiter, or receive credit card bills in an outdoor mailbox, or don't use a paper shredder before chucking old bills.