TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Top 10 Dot Com Flops
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
1.  Webvan
2. Pets.com
3. Kozmo.com <--kozmo.com and the also departed urbanfetch made daily deliveries to us in those days  Smile
4.Flooz.com
5. eToys.com
6. Boo.com
7.MVP.com
8.Go.com
9. Kibu.com
10. GovWorks.com

story, details  http://www.cnet.com/4520-11136_1-6278387...=cnetfd.sd
Quote:<--kozmo.com and the also departed urbanfetch made daily deliveries to us in those days 

I remember the daily deliveries fondly  Crybaby2 Crybaby2
*cough*wagglepop.com*cough*
I'd forgotten about the Pets.com talking sock puppet Happy001  All those names gone and yet f*ckedcompany lives on  Happy001
We used Peapod.com all the time. Technically, they didn't flop--more like retreated and started over. I think they're available on the East coast now.

Don't forget More.com (the big drugstore that was later replaced by places like drugstore.com and mothernature.com). I used to do phone customer service for More.com in 1997. LMAO.

What about Beanz? Whatever happened to Beanz.com? Or was it Beenz. Can't remember now.

Remember Red Herring Magazine?  >Big Grin

Remembe when Lucent used to have like a million employees? LOL.

I actually worked at a few dot bombs (one of them shut down around noon. I remember having gone to lunch--and returned to find a BIG meeting was scheduled, during which the 'CEO' [who formerly had spent most of each day bouncing a basketball down each aisle of tech workers and playing Doom with the sound WAAAAY up] 'tearfully' said we were shutting down. "If you want your last paycheck, you'll have to come back tomorrow." Go on home now. The plug has been pulled. (People promptly stole computers, too). Aieee.

Beenz and Flooz died within a week of each other.  Dead for 4 years.

http://www.ecommercetimes.com/story/12892.html
Quote:Remembe when Lucent used to have like a million employees? LOL.

I actually worked at a few dot bombs (one of them shut down around noon. I remember having gone to lunch--and returned to find a BIG meeting was scheduled, during which the 'CEO' [who formerly had spent most of each day bouncing a basketball down each aisle of tech workers and playing Doom with the sound WAAAAY up] 'tearfully' said we were shutting down. "If you want your last paycheck, you'll have to come back tomorrow." Go on home now. The plug has been pulled. (People promptly stole computers, too). Aieee.

This sounds like the famous Thursday in Winstar (who by the way was the one who sucked Lucent dry) -- when suddenly the phone service went down, the internet was shut off, and we were all laid off.  The stock had also been frozen at that moment, and after that it was de-listed and went to pennies a share.

The owners Bill & Nate came out of the whole thing very nicely though, with multiple million dollar stock sales having been made beforehand.  They never ended up seeing the inside of any prison walls.  Angryfire
WavWaggleopop.com should have made the list??????? Wav Wav
Hey Vital, I didn't know you had actually worked in the tech industry, too? I bet alot of us here have.

Hey, Jezebel--guess all those Beenz aren't worth Beans any more, are they? Heh.  Toothy9

Oh--and I don't think WP qualifies. It was gone before it started. Such a tiny blip on the screen. Although it could probably make a top 10 of start ups that popped at start up...

Quote:Oh--and I don't think WP qualifies. It was gone before it started. Such a tiny blip on the screen. Although it could probably make a top 10 of start ups that popped at start up...

I would think #1 on that top 10 list  Sign10 Wink

Angel  Angel5