TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Crooks are getting even more aggressive at online auction sites
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:Last November, Chinese banker Jacky Chung searched the online auction Web site eBay for a model 5035 Patek Philippe watch. He found one offered by a woman in New York City. Her eBay account showed that she had sold numerous Swiss watches, and all her customers had posted positive feedback after their transactions.

Chung bid on the watch, won the auction, and wired $10,600 to her bank in New York. The woman e-mailed the tracking number of a package shipped, curiously, via Canada Postes in Quebec City. Six days later the envelope arrived at Chung's home in Hong Kong. It contained a car catalog, ripped up for good measure. "I think she just wanted to humiliate me," says Chung, who e-mailed eBay repeatedly, seeking redress. Five days later the San Jose, California-based company responded, inviting Chung to contact the authorities instead. The FBI suggested Chung talk to the police in Hong Kong. A police officer in Hong Kong told Chung to forget about it—such fraud is widespread...

full article: http://msnbc.msn.com/id/11900480/site/newsweek/
Five days later the San Jose, California-based company responded, inviting Chung to contact the authorities instead.

And what would be the point in that since eBay doesn't cooperate with law enforcement?

Beth, noting that this fraud was the result of a hacked selling account.

LSOSB. 

(On a side note, my son was looking for a motorcycle on eBay recently and got all excited because he found some GREAT DEALS.  I had to break his poor little 20 year old boy heart and tell him the listings were on a hacked account.) 
My son is always looking at some GREAT DEALS on the bay. 
He can point out the scams better than most adults can I think.

We rarely buy from ebay sellers.
But we did see a great Guitar offered over the holidays.
We slid on over to this retailers website and got it for less.

Was here in three days and is an awesome electric set up.
I have hopes that soon my son will be  supporting me.  LOL

If he makes it big I've already been given the job title of "groupie" screener.

That's going to be a fun job. Laughing7
Quote:One reason fraud is on the rise is that more and more auctions sites have been popping up, thanks to inexpensive do-it-yourself programs.

This reminded me of the bid shilling on auto auctions that took place on BidBoink's now closed auction site.

Quote:Widespread fraud is causing "significant psychological damage" to consumers, who are increasingly "afraid to buy anything expensive."

eBay's "just a venue"/blame the victim crap contributes to that fear.

Quote:If online auction houses want to continue their astronomical growth, they'll have to do better. The trust of their customers depends on it.

eBay's management is too stupid to realize that.
Quote:If online auction houses want to continue their astronomical growth, they'll have to do better. The trust of their customers depends on it.

eBay said they don't want to do that anymore. Remember?
(Be an auction site I mean)...

Hell they just spent the last 3 or 4 years trying to get all us 
"Auction Types" to just pack up and go away so they could "transform"
into some super

Worldwide BUY IT NOW e commerce site.
With Payfraud as the "payment platform"...  Laughing7

Sad part is that so many of the sheep left NEVER got the memo.
They were too busy grazing in the field of dreams.

But the scammers figured out how to exploit the whole situation
as IT was unfolding. 

I think eBay's management is too stupid to realize that all they had to do was say.

"Hey we want to change direction what do you think?"
(and give us all the pitch)....

Oh wait it's eBay:
They are too stupid to realize anything unless it's underhanded,
unethical and of course MAKES them money. 
The GREED factor DID set in all ALL counts. IMO