TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Looking for a script/program to add urls/create a directory
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Jen & I have both independently and quite suddenly decided that we each need to create a directory of some sort.  Mine will be on the domain: "GotStores.com."  Any tips?  This should be the do-it-yourself add-your own url type.  Jen probably knows a lot more about this.  My "independent" idea is only about 30 minutes old.
Nope, don't know much about directories, I started researching this after Amazon pulled the plug on my software sales.  I was thinking about how EZ needs to have a promotion area for their stores and forum members.  I was thinking I could have mutiple sites of mine pull from the same database - so some domain names that I'm not really using at the moment could provide some advertising.  Do you see any pitfalls in that?

I have one that I'm looking at, that looks like it'll do what I want, but was curious BBH or Amy if ya'll had any recommendations?

Jen
Well, you could take the advise of the person in this testimonial (name sounds familiar), but I think the script is crap Smile http://www.widexl.com/scripts/link/testimonials.html

Instead of using that one, I would recommend that Jen (not that Vital Guy ) use what Elizabeth used for GoShopGirl's directory.  Great script, contains a ton of features, and is very cheap ($60 includes a license to use it on 3 sites)  http://www.wsnlinks.com/  ...BUT the script has a high learning curve and is a pain to customize so its only recommended for more experienced site owners who know a little php.  It is also fairly resource intensive.

I'll have to look around and find something for Vital today (although the one in that testimonial might work for Vital if you're planning on a small directory)

Now for the next mean cruel part:

Change the word Auction to Directory in the following sentence

"why would you want to start an auction site.  there are already thousands of them. "

The number of directory sites, especially smaller paid directory sites like Onestop, etc has exploded in the past year or so.  Everyone and their frickin mother has started a directory so they can charge people for backlinks.  There is probably even less need for another directory site than there is for another cookie cutter auction site.  I expect the directory fad/craze to go pop soon and many of the small startups that are basically charging for backlinks with good PR (which is the only reason site owners are paying to be in low traffic directories) to go bye bye.  Some of the search engines are also reportedly getting sick of the huge explosion in directory sites that has occurred in the past year.
My idea on this was not so much to start a directory to charge backlinks or make money off of the adverts, but more to have a quick and easy spot for stores in my hosting network to see what their neighbors are selling, and maybe help a little with linkpopularity for them?

I've been immersing myself in PHP courses for the last 2 months, so I could probably pick at the script you mentioned.  I liked the way Liz's turned out. 

I definitely understand where you're coming from on the directory thing.  Seems like everytime I missssspell a website address or use the wrong extension, there's either a parked page trying to sell the domain name, or a cheezy directory.

Jen

Jen Wrote:but more to have a quick and easy spot for stores in my hosting network to see what their neighbors are selling, and maybe help a little with linkpopularity for them?

I'd go with WSN Links.  You can customize all of the fields so you could do whatever you wanted with it  Smile

complete features: http://wsnlinks.com/index.php?section=features

Vital Wrote:My idea was mainly to just have my online buddies be able to enter their own info rather than me do it for them, but if it requires a database, then I'll probably stick to just pasting in a link list for now

I'll look but almost all of the php based directory scripts require a database.  The cheapest ($49) version of the directory script Matt gave a testimonial for doesn't require a database:

http://www.widexl.com/scripts/link/index.html
By the way - nothing mean and cruel about the truth.

Thanks for the info,
Jen
Quote:a cheap/free and/or easy way to try out something along this line.

Probably not.  Creating a marketplace for self-published works would take time and money.

I think the idea itself could work.  One of my favorite new web sites is Etsy.com which is a very well done marketplace for handmade items that opened in June and now has almost 1,400 sellers and 10,000 items.  If a marketplace for "all things handmade" can work, a marketplace for "all things self-published" might also work, but getting the site from the idea stage to the successful marketplace stage would be a huge undertaking in terms of both time and money.
Wow, that really is a cool site.  Thanks for posting it.  I just took a quick peek but I definitely will be back very soon to spend more time.  Toothy10
Wait a minute…….Etsy.com

"When you sign up as a seller, we require that you keep a valid credit card on file"

Sorry, but after all the stuff happening over the past year or two on small auction auctions disappearing with seller's credit card info and some people having sudden charges to their credit cards and not reimbursed for it, I'm not about to give that kind of info to a small fry site.  Too bad, I was really excited about them.  I have no problem paying my fees but not giving out my credit card info to a newbie site like that - how about billing us and letting us pay by Paypal or some other way?  If they were bigger and more known - yes, but at this point - no!

"Can I use PayPal for billing instead of a credit card? what if I ton'd have a credit card?
We require a credit card because we also use it to verify your identity and address. However, we may be adding PayPal as a means for this in the near future. A discussion about this issue may be found in the Ideas forum.:
Okay, so there's a possibility of this - so maybe in the future there is hope and I might be there then. At least they are open to other possibilities.

As for the rest of their terms, well, I stopped at this point when I saw they demand a credit card from all sellers. Sad  But at least there is the possibility of Paypal in the future to pay invoices so I will keep a book mark of this site just in case they do change and make it more open with other ways and not demand all their sellers to give their credit card info.
Pages: 1 2