TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: OK, can we get the whole feedback thing into perspective please?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have noticed much more obsession over feedback on eBay the past day.  I personally could not care less about feedback.  In fact, I think it is a hassle.  Under the new eBay feedback building policy, eBay states that feedback is the cornerstone of trust on the site.  Really?  Whatever.  I agree with BBH's post that feedback is artificially inflated.

At any rate, I protect myself while shopping online by paying via credit card.  I have a very low credit limit card that is used specifically for online shopping including paying eBay fees.  If I am ripped off (thankfully not yet) I would handle it as a chargeback to the credit card.  I don't rely on feedback to ensure I won't be ripped off on eBay.

On our websites, we don't post feedback.  And the same people that proudly display their feedback scores have language in their listings like, "If you don't purchase insurance, I am not responsible if you don't receive the item(s) you purchase."  Really?  I can just imagine trying to explain that to my merchant account provider:  "No, I don't have confirmation that the customer received the item, but they didn't purchase insurance so too bad.  But my feedback speaks for itself...I wouldn't defraud a buyer."  I can just see my merchant account response...."You're right.  Too bad we are charging it back to your account."

But this post really made me think:

http://forums.ebay.com/db2/thread.jspa?t...1000093127&tstart=0&mod=1128398671198

Look at the comments by the eBay employee about the wonderful feedback score.  It is like they are pandering to feedback junkies.  Isn't the purpose of selling online to make a profit, not to collect feedback?  Key Bank does not have a feedback CD.

I guess what I am trying to ask is if I am minimizing the importance of feedback.  I personally don't care about it.
[quote author=catholicemporium link=topic=661.msg2445#msg2445 date=1128408209]
Look at the comments by the eBay employee about the wonderful feedback score.  It is like they are pandering to feedback junkies.[/quote]

I'm still trying to get past the part where that seller asked eBay a question and that eBay employee instead of just answering the question they "reviewed" that seller's account?  Why? What's the need to go and review someone's account when they are asking a simple question not relating to their account?  That makes me not want to ask them anything.

Quote:I guess what I am trying to ask is if I am minimizing the importance of feedback.  I personally don't care about it.

Same here - if I get it that's nice if not then no big deal.  The only thing I care about is I don't want a negative but to build up my feedback to a high number? That's not why I'm there.