TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Court fight over eBay sale
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Quote:WHEN Jonathan Cobb sold a bike through eBay, he assumed he would be safe accepting a credit card payment from the buyer through his PayPal account.

.. on this occasion he was left without his goods or cash and with PayPal's debt collectors knocking at his door.

It was a journey that involved the police, the courts and several months of anxiety for the 27-year-old

Criminal gangs are using stolen cards to exploit the flaws in PayPal's system and even innocent mix-ups are leaving sellers out of pocket and facing a battle for their cash and goods.

Jonathan said: 'My main qualm with PayPal is that they didn't offer any help at all, their customer service was a joke. Even though I had evidence that the buyer had received the bike, they still just gave in to the credit card company and gave the cash back,.

full article: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money-saver..._id=404203&in_page_id=5
Quote:I have had no help from PayPal so have had to get the police and the courts involved. PayPal has tried to bully me with debt collectors but I'm standing firm and I intend to get my money back.'

and

Quote:The spokesman added that PayPal sellers should check whether a buyer's card details have been verified before accepting payment.

Why doesn't PayPal require that all credit cards be verified before they can be used?
Quote:Why doesn't PayPal require that all credit cards be verified before they can be used?

I have always pondered that same question.

OT I got my Linkpoint working yippy...
Thanks guys for al your help.

See ya later Paypal. Wave
[quote author=mandy link=topic=786.msg2953#msg2953 date=1129112498]
Quote:Jonathan said: 'My main qualm with PayPal is that they didn't offer any help at all, their customer service was a joke. Even though I had evidence that the buyer had received the bike, they still just gave in to the credit card company and gave the cash back,.

full article: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money-saver..._id=404203&in_page_id=5
[/quote]

He's suing the wrong entity.  The buyer didn't steal his money - PayPal did. 

I guess it's pretty easy making *business decisions* when you get to play with someone else's money, eh?
Quote:OT I got my Linkpoint working yippy

Thumbsup  Did you use Connect or API?

A seller posted on the Stores Board about being nervous concerning a buyer that has purchased several expensive items from him and others.  A few people mentioned to the seller not to accept Paypal to be on the safe side. 
Anyway, I posted the info... not to scare him, but to let him know that carp like that DOES happen!
http://forums.ebay.com/db2/thread.jspa?t...1000102947&tstart=0
Thanks for the link, Mandy.

edited to add link to Stores Board for BBH.  Tongue
The more I think about it . . . the more I am convinced there is no way I would part with that much inventory without cash (that no one could snatch back from me) in hand.   
[quote author=Anita link=topic=786.msg3036#msg3036 date=1129247293]
A seller posted on the Stores Board about being nervous concerning a buyer that has purchased several expensive items from him and others.  A few people mentioned to the seller not to accept Paypal to be on the safe side. 
Anyway, I posted the info... not to scare him, but to let him know that carp like that DOES happen!
Thanks for the link, Mandy.
[/quote]

http://forums.ebay.com/db2/thread.jspa?t...1000102947&tstart=0
[quote author=iron_chick link=topic=786.msg3041#msg3041 date=1129252178]
The more I think about it . . . the more I am convinced there is no way I would part with that much inventory without cash (that no one could snatch back from me) in hand.   
[/quote]

I wouldn't either.
from the eBay stores board:

Quote: I'm afraid to list anything else for fear she will buy it.

There seems to be a lot of fear involved with selling on eBay (and accepting PayPal) that sellers who sell on Amazon or have their own web sites/merchant accounts don't have: the fear of having their business reputations ruined (by retaliatory negatives or feedback bombing), the fear of shipping internationally if a buyer pays with paypal, the fear of fraudulent chargebacks and being powerless to fight them if the buyer used paypal,  the fear of your listings being targeted by a competitor and eBay removing them without verifying that there are violations,  and on and on... 

The fear factor and loss of control over your own business that is involved when you do business on eBay is probably the main reason I've always believed people should move at least a part of their business off eBay to their own web sites or other venues if they hope to have an online business that lasts for the long term. 

Pages: 1 2