TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: The Luxury of Spam: When Only Slabs of Pink, Jellied Byproduct Will Do
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:If you're looking for a gift that bespeaks elegance and taste, you might try Spam. The luncheon meat might be the subject of satire back home in the U.S., but in South Korea, it is positively classy. With $136 million in sales, South Korea is the largest market in the world for Spam outside the United States. But here, some consider the pink luncheon meat with its gelatinous shell too nice to buy for themselves, and 40% of the Spam is purchased as gifts...

.."It goes very nicely with red wine," said another shopper.

full article: http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/...-headlines
.."It goes very nicely with red wine,"

Puke
# 1 The Original Baked SPAM® Classic

Ingredients
- 1 SPAM® Classic (12-ounce) can
- whole cloves
- 1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon vinegar

Directions
Heat oven to 375°F. Place SPAM® Classic on rack in shallow baking pan. Score surface; stud with cloves. Combine brown sugar, water, mustard, and vinegar, stirring until smooth. Brush glaze over SPAM®. Bake 20 minutes, basting often. Slice to serve.

SPAM™ Confetti Pasta

Ingredients

Nonstick cooking spray
2 cups frozen whole kernel corn thawed
1 SPAM® Classic (12-ounce) can cut in 2-inch strips
1 red bell pepper chopped
1 green bell pepper chopped
3/4 cup chopped red onion
1 1/2 cups whipping cream
2 tablespoons chili powder
1/4 teaspoon pepper
12 ounces angel hair pasta cooked and drained
2 tomatoes peeled and chopped

Servings: 6
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes

Directions
In skillet coated with cooking spray, sauté corn, SPAM®, bell peppers, and onion over medium heat 5 minutes or until tender. Transfer mixture to bowl; keep warm. To same skillet, add cream, chili powder, and pepper. Bring to a boil; boil 5 minutes or until cream has slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Pour over pasta and toss well. Spoon SPAM™ mixture over pasta. To serve, sprinkle with chopped tomatoes and cilantro.
I've always hated Spam  Sign18 [Image: yuk.gif]

Quote:Spam's success in South Korea is one of those cultural mysteries — a bit like the reverence for Jerry Lewis in France

I've never understood the Jerry Lewis/France thing either.  Laughing7
[quote author=bargainbloodhound link=topic=826.msg3144#msg3144 date=1129423736]

Quote:Spam's success in South Korea is one of those cultural mysteries — a bit like the reverence for Jerry Lewis in France

I've never understood the Jerry Lewis/France thing either.  Laughing7
[/quote]
Perhaps it's their favorite substitute for kimchee.  Puke
[quote author=bargainbloodhound link=topic=826.msg3144#msg3144 date=1129423736]
[/quote]

Yeah, me too.  Even when you try to hide the taste with lots of ketchup or other condiments or foods, it doesn't work.  Even after several rum and cokes, it still tastes gross.  Lol

Well, in all fairness to the product, when we were little, and monies were tight, we had a LOT of sardines, spam and tuna. We ate what was put before us, like it or not.  Consequently, we learned to like everything!!  I can still remember the taste of Spam.  It really wasn't that bad for what it was.  However, having NOT eaten any for at least 45 years, I just don't think I could get past the salt content..... Icon_tongue
[quote author=stardust link=topic=826.msg3155#msg3155 date=1129438451]However, having NOT eaten any for at least 45 years, I just don't think I could get past the salt content..... Icon_tongue
[/quote]

Hmmm, maybe that's why I didn't like it - I never could eat anything even slightly salty even way back as a youngster.  Hmm, that could be.

Even if I ate meat I wouldn't touch SPAM with a 10 foot pole--that slimey jello gunk on the outside is gross  Happy001