TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Goodbye walled garden of content, hello Ecommerce 2.0
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Interview with Yahoo's Salim Ismail:

Quote:    "If you look at the walled garden of content today, whether its eBay or Monster.com or Overture, etc. They basically create and get a lot of value from the ownership of the data. As we get to the UGC (user-generated content) world where users own their own data, what happens to a Monster.com if anybody can publish a job announcement off the website? It then gets syndicated and anybody can aggregate that. The value that they believe in ownership of the data will disappear and where you will get value as a service to layer on top of them.

So let’s look at eBay as an example. eBay gets its value; its market count is one of its great things. One is the ownership of all the auction data that they have. And they own that monster list of hundreds of millions of auctions per hour. The second is the payment services provided by Paypal. There’s a lot of value provided by that. And the third is the reputation system that they already arrived at. Some sort of sense of fairness in the marketplace and so on.

If you take away or if you start publishing offers to sell off their blogs, or off their Myspace profiles or Facebook profiles or whatever. What happens to eBay?...

full article: http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/e-c...l.php#more
Quote: If you take away or if you start publishing offers to sell off their blogs, or off their Myspace profiles or Facebook profiles or whatever. What happens to eBay?...

I didn't go read the article  Smileyyellowbang  so, color my response a simple guess, or common sense.

Ebay, etc., still has the viewers/buyers. While this may decline, and the trend is certainly to going independent, I think it's still fairly rare to be able to make the kind of sales that can be made on ebay, etc., off of your blog or whatever page. UNLESS, you are in an extremely niche market.

Am I wrong?
Quote:I think it's still fairly rare to be able to make the kind of sales that can be made on ebay, etc., off of your blog or whatever page

The trust factor is even lower than eBay when you're buying from a blog listing or MySpace/Facebook profile..  It's not rare to make more from a website than eBay though.