TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Sears.com is distributing spyware that tracks all your Internet usage
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:Visiting Sears.com (and Kmart.com) a few weeks ago, I was offered a chance to join My SHC Community, for free, but what I received was, from a privacy perspective, very costly.  Sears.com is distributing spyware that tracks all your Internet usage - including banking logins, email, and all other forms of Internet usage - all in the name of "community participation." Every website visitor that joins the Sears community installs software that acts as a proxy to every web transaction made on the compromised computer.  In other words, if you have installed Sears software ("the proxy") on your system, all data transmitted to and from your system will be intercepted. This extreme level of user tracking is done with little and inconspicuous notice about the true nature of the software.  In fact, while registering to join the "community," very little mention is made of software or tracking.  Furthermore, after the software is installed, there is no indication on the desktop that the proxy exists on the system, so users are tracked silently.  An interesting note, the spyware Sears distributes is "genetically" related to software CA Anti-Spyware has detected for a few years by the name of MarketScore (and other aliases) and distributed by other websites.

full article: http://community.ca.com/blogs/securityad...yware.aspx