TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: The New Hampshire Debates
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Did anyone watch the New Hampshire debates last night? I really liked John Edwards, but I feel more comfortable with Hilary. Obama didn't do anything for me---he seemed a little standoffish, which irritated me.

Anyone else?
New Hampshire Debate Review - Republican and Democrat

Quote:Just some quick reactions to tonight's ABC WMUR Republican and Democratic debates in New Hampshire. I was able to watch both in their entirety.
GOP_Debate_New_Hampshire.jpg

First, the Republicans. What pompous asses. Huckabee showed a small degree of humility, as did McCain and Paul, but the rest of those morons looked just like George Bush at a press conference, looking down on Americans as just not smart enough to understand the complexities of the boogeymen these asses want us to believe are out to rape our daughters if we don't elect a Republican to the White House.

Personal preferences aside, Flipper Romney was under attack from all sides and of course, being no better then them, he stooped to the same level and whined several times about being attacked. I can't imagine any of these clowns holding their own against a foreign leader without bringing weapons with them into the room.

No wonder Republicans in general disdain diplomacy -- they haven't the intellectual firepower to sit at the table and match wits. I am disgusted by their blatant simple-mindedness.
Dem_NH_Debate.jpg
As for the Democrats, I think Richardson did better than he has in the past, and Clinton scored worse than she has in the past, but how refreshing it was to see four candidates who were each individually head and shoulders above their Republican counterparts.

Seeing these debates side-by-side provided the closest preview yet as to what we'll see when it comes down to final race for the White House. The Democratic candidate will represent the will of the people, and the Republican candidate will waive their arms in the air and make noises -- just like George Bush -- all the while providing cover for the corporate, religious and ideological special interests that are pushing the buttons behind the scenes.

I have absolutely no doubt that Democrats will prevail this coming November, and that made the three hours of debate-watching all worthwhile. I'll try to hit some of the highlights in the coming days.

Onward to November, and the dawn of a new day in America.

You can watch the video highlights of last night's NH Democratic debate here.
Quote:I really liked John Edwards

Me too. I've always liked him and last night was very impressed. Definitely has class.

As much as I respect Hilary for being an intelligent, driven woman that is brave enough to face the "boys", I just can't get behind her. Bottom line, no matter how smart she is... I just don't feel I could trust her. Dunno, one of those gut feelings really. My mom and sis are staunch Hilary supporters and we've been having our own debates lately  ;D

Obama doesn't really do it for me either. Don't really know what it is with him either. I actually like what he has to say. He seems to be a straight shooter.

This will be SO interesting to watch. My daughter is so excited, she turns 18 in March so this is her first election. We're both really watching with interest to see how things develop.
Quote:Me too. I've always liked him and last night was very impressed. Definitely has class.

I like his passion for the things he believes in, and even though I don't think that most people view it as a major issue in this campaign, I personally feel that the special interests are one of the greatest threats to this country, and dealing with them should be at the top of the US president's list. I don't see any of the others that are capable of dealing with those special interests in any significant way.

I also really like his wife---not that it matters that much. I do think that she would be a very active first lady, her health permitting.

Quote:Obama doesn't really do it for me either. Don't really know what it is with him either. I actually like what he has to say. He seems to be a straight shooter.

To me, he has the drawbacks that Edwards has, but his attributes are not significant enough to make up for those drawbacks. I like candidates with more experience in Washington then he currently has. I would not mind seeing him as Edwards' VP, however. Or Hilary, either, for that matter.

Quote:As much as I respect Hilary for being an intelligent, driven woman that is brave enough to face the "boys", I just can't get behind her. Bottom line, no matter how smart she is... I just don't feel I could trust her. Dunno, one of those gut feelings really. My mom and sis are staunch Hilary supporters and we've been having our own debates lately

I like the fact that she has so much experience in Washington politics. Not to mention that if she is elected, we get Bill back too. Laughing7
But, I wonder if she would be able to build a strong coalition in Congress..........her personality is quite abrasive at times, and sometimes I think that that factor could be a big problem for her. After all, whether it's logical or right really isn't the point, but a majority of men have difficulty dealing with a strong, powerful woman. Add to that the abrasiveness, and she may have a significant problem with Congress. JMHO, of course. Maybe men are more enlightened than I give them credit for. Big Grin

Quote:This will be SO interesting to watch. My daughter is so excited, she turns 18 in March so this is her first election. We're both really watching with interest to see how things develop.

It is interesting. It's also my son's first election, and he is all about reading and watching everything to do with the candidates right now. We're thinking of doing the Dem convention, but haven't decided. I'm also considering volunteering for Edwards' campaign.
I don't want the Hill and Bill show rerun. It sets up a dynasty, and that is the last thing we need. I also questioned the association with Bill and Bush Sr. doing their "charity" work together. Hillary also receives a ton of dough from special interest groups. Actually all of the top three candidates do receive monies from various special interest groups. It is almost impossible to raise the kind of money they spend to run without it. The downfall is that payback will be due.

Instead of the slick campaign ads, theme songs, and you tube clips, I would rather see a full disclosure of where they get the money. That way you would know alot about what issues will and will not be addressed if they are elected. Say they get lots of dough from Humana. Then you know universal health care is not gonna happen. Exxon you say? Well there goes investing in alternative fuel, or attacking climate change, and forget a global initiative for global warming.

I like Dennis Kucinich, and he hasn't got a chance. He speaks common sense, is practical, intelligent, and not in the pocket of big business.

John Edwards does have an honorable approach to leveling the playing field both for low income and middle income Americans. He is a very nice man, sorta reminds me of Carter.

Obama is fresh, and hasn't been in office long enough to be entrenched in the good ole boy network yet. My oldest son loves him, and even bought his book. :blinkie: He must really appeal to the young, as my son doesn't read anything unless it is online.
Laughing7 Laughing7 Laughing7
Quote:I also really like his wife

Me too. Aside from platform issues, I think that's their general appeal to me -- they're everyday people. At least that's the impression I've had of them over the last few years. They just seem "real".

Quote:and she may have a significant problem with Congress

I agree with that also. I was pleasantly surprised at her mini show of emotion the other day. For the first time in awhile, she appeared genuine to me. Exhausted and almost a resigned countenance -- I wish we could see more of that side of Hillary, because that's how a lot of us "working class" feel on a pretty regular basis! I really do think it helped her in NH as evidenced by the percentage of women that voted for her. Although I'm still not sure she'll get my primary vote, I was proud of her for pulling it off.

Quote:Actually all of the top three candidates do receive monies from various special interest groups.

Really sad, isn't it? It's made me very cynical about politics in general. You get a fresh face like Obama, and I have to wonder if he will be the same man in 10 years, 20 years? Sad, vicious circle.

Quote:I would rather see a full disclosure of where they get the money.

Hehe, I think that could be a lil scary. An eye-opener to say the least.

Quote:My oldest son loves him, and even bought his book

I was browsing in the bookstore the other day and saw it, but passed it up for Stephen Covey, lol. Let me know how your son likes it. I may have to pick it up on my next trip.

I do not have a TV, so I am not following it all that closely. Really I do not have a strong pull towards any of the three top Democrats -  probably vote for Kucinich if he is still in the race by the time it gets to Washington.

I think the guys in Congress are used to working with women (and Blacks) by now. They will make jokes in the men's room but power is power. I do not doubt that Hillary will be in charge, but she doesn't think as sublely as Bill, so I do not see her emerging as a top tier president.

Obama  I fear may not be practical enough, particularly in terms of money, although his charisma is a plus and if he could talk Oprah into the UN job we would have a big time foreign policy improvement. Edwards seems OK, too, but not great.

I really would be OK with any of the three, at the moment I lean towards Hilliary because, as said above, we get Bill too and despite some Republicans trying determinedly to tear him apart I think overall he did a pretty good job.

Heard Ron Paul on the Republican side is really a libertarian - he even is for legalization, but he does not seem to be going anywhere.
Quote:Actually all of the top three candidates do receive monies from various special interest groups.

I haven't researched it myself, but Edwards did say during the debate, that he has not/is not accepting money from special interest groups. At least I believe he said that, but I could be mistaken.

Personally, as long as those groups are only making minor contributions, I could care less. Even more important to me is whether or not the recipient of those contributions is willing to play ball with them in exchange. One doesn't necessarily equal the other, IMO.

Quote:I agree with that also. I was pleasantly surprised at her mini show of emotion the other day. For the first time in awhile, she appeared genuine to me. Exhausted and almost a resigned countenance -- I wish we could see more of that side of Hillary

Me too. But, I suspect that if we saw too much of it , we would have a problem with it. It's funny, but even though I consciously abhor stereotyping, I have found myself doing it with Hilary. It is difficult to separate her from her "gender assignment", and I never realized I felt that way.  Smileyyellowbang

Quote:Obama  I fear may not be practical enough, particularly in terms of money, although his charisma is a plus and if he could talk Oprah into the UN job we would have a big time foreign policy improvement. Edwards seems OK, too, but not great.

I think I agree with what Bill Clinton said about Obama. He is about talk, rhetoric. He doesn't have the experience to be about anything else. While he is charismatic, I don't feel that at this point in time the country needs someone with no experience whatsoever in foreign affairs running the show. The idea makes me cringe, bigtime.

Quote:he even is for legalization

I disagree with legalization except for medical reasons.  Angel1