TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Mass Idiots Sighting: 61% Use Same Password for Everything
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:Few things make you feel more helpless than sitting blank-faced at a screen, looking at a flashing cursor and a message saying "PASSWORD INCORRECT" in a disapproving tone. But that was the one for your bank, wasn't it? Or was it? And if it was, then what's your eBay one, again?

The password pressure of modern life means that 61% of us use the same password wherever we can, according to a survey commissioned by digital communications agency @www. In fact, with more than one in 10 people having 50 or more separate online accounts to log into, many are not only using the same password for everything, but also writing all their passwords down in one handy place, such as the noticeboard in their office, a document on their desktop, or a Post-it note stuck to their computer...

full article: http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/200...rity.banks
Quote:The password pressure of modern life means that 61% of us use the same password wherever we can

I'd bet that more than 61% of people choose passwords that are insecure and easy to hack: summer, winter, mydogsname,myaddress, mybirthdate, etc.
[quote author=regic link=topic=17303.msg67629#msg67629 date=1200945423]
Quote:The password pressure of modern life means that 61% of us use the same password wherever we can

I'd bet that more than 61% of people choose passwords that are insecure and easy to hack: summer, winter, mydogsname,myaddress, mybirthdate, etc.
[/quote]

Not me.... Big Grin
[quote author=BellisimaJ. link=topic=17303.msg67631#msg67631 date=1200946936]
[quote author=regic link=topic=17303.msg67629#msg67629 date=1200945423]

[/quote]

Not me.... Big Grin
[/quote]

Me neither. I have a different password for every account -- all 47 of them, although I only use about 5-6 accounts on a regular daily basis. I Google translation sites to find obscure words and phrases in foreign languages, mixed with numbers and characters that alternate at prescribed intervals. Nobody, not even my husband, has a clue what any of my passwords are.
Quote:I Google translation sites to find obscure words and phrases in foreign languages, mixed with numbers and characters that alternate at prescribed intervals.

Good idea...... Thumbsup

I don't use words at all, however. I use combinations of characters and numbers, both upper and lower case, which make absolutely no sense whatsoever. I don't attempt to memorize any but those that I use most frequently; I keep a file of the passwords on a rolodex.  Tongue