TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: eBay Restricts Digital Downloads and Auction Templates to Classified Format
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:eBay is rolling out a new policy that requires all goods that can be digitally downloaded or transferred electronically to be listed using the Classified Ads format, effective March 31, 2008. Using the Classified Ads format, sellers receive a 30-day ad at a fixed price.

eBay said it is instituting the new policy to preserve the integrity of the Feedback system. "Digital goods are often reproduced at little to no cost to the seller. On eBay, this creates the potential for Feedback Manipulation (both real and perceived)."

Classified Ad listings are a lead generation tool and do not result in transactions that go through eBay, so buyers and sellers do not exchange feedback...

full article: http://www.auctionbytes.com/cab/abn/y08/m03/i25/s04

Quote:eBay is banning sales of digital downloads from its site, restricting them instead to the Classified Ad format, which costs $9.95 for a 30-day listing. Letters are starting to come in from sellers who make some or all of their income from sales of auction templates, ecards, music animations, ebook guides, etc.

Said one seller, "I cannot afford $9.95 to list each template...

full article: http://blog.auctionbytes.com/cgi-bin/blo...50743.html

Quote:One eBay seller, Smwoody in Pennsylvania has a small, family-owned business that sells custom-designed crochet patterns on eBay. When completing the sale, Smwoody provides buyers an e-mailed PDF file, a format that is used by many sellers who offer digital goods on eBay. After learning that policy changes would require her to list the crochet patterns in a classified ad format, Smwoody posted the following in a public forum: "I am just sick this morning. I have spent four years and hundreds of hours to make my brand of crochet patterns into a good business. I design them all myself and they will NOT sell as a classified ad. I just don't see it happening. As of this morning, three-quarters of my sales are gone."...

full article: http://www.ecommerce-guide.com/essential...hp/3736441
This has raised some concerns among domain sellers.  At one forun two members  contacted live help.

I am sure you can guess the results.

One was told for sure domains were not included, the other was told "we do not have that information, is there anything else I can help you with?".

The law of unintended consequences, "business" as usual in ebay land.

Tickedoff  Tickedoff    Tickedoff
eBay responds:

Quote:Question: What about custom services, such as website design services or resume writing services, which may include a digital deliverable, such as the custom web site pages or the draft or final resume?

Answer: Custom services, where the buyer and seller work collaboratively to develop a custom designed website, will be treated as a service, like they are today. A single template page, even if customizable (e.g. pick your color, “place your name here”) are not considered custom services and will be required to be listed using the Classified Ads format. ..
Quote:Question: Couldn't eBay have established a minimum dollar amount for these listings that would eliminate potential feedback manipulation?

Answer: We considered that option, as well as a number of other alternatives -- for instance, we considered allowing only approved sellers to list these items. After investigating these and other alternatives, however, we determined that the Classified Ads format provides a more flexible and scalable solution for our sellers. The policy is clear to understand and follow, while improving marketplace safety and Feedback integrity.

full article: http://www.ebaychatter.com/the_chatter/2...wnloa.html
eBay UK joins the parade: downloadable media banned from all selling formats including classifieds

Quote:***Change to downloadable media policy *** 

From 29th April, we’ll be banning all goods that can be digitally downloaded or transferred electronically from being listed in any format on eBay.co.uk and eBay.ie. We’re doing this to prevent bad experiences and preserve the integrity of the Feedback system.

While they are a small portion of the marketplace, listings for digital goods often lead to bad experiences for our buyers and contribute to a perception that eBay allows unauthorised or illegitimate items to be sold on the marketplace, such as electronic copies of books.

Unfortunately, these goods also create the potential for Feedback manipulation as they are often reproduced and then bought and sold at little or no cost to the seller and buyer.

This new policy will come into effect on 29th April 2008. We encourage any sellers who think they will be affected to read the Downloadable Media policy and review their listings accordingly.