TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Ajax and Video Presenting Site Performance Challenge for Etailers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote: The more online retailers dress up their web pages with online video and interactive Ajax applications, the more they have to ensure that their web servers can serve up all that rich content, experts say...

While video content absorbs space on web servers, adding Ajax applications creates a bigger challenge because of the way Ajax technology works, Santos adds. Ajax, or asynchronous JavaScript and XML, constantly sends messages between a shopper’s web browser and a back-end web server to display content like product images and pop-up windows of product details. “What can go wrong is that because rich Internet applications like Ajax are ‘chatty,’ with lots of calls from the user’s browser to back-end servers, this can result in a delay of several seconds,” Santos says. “And about 33% of online consumers will abandon any transaction that takes longer than four seconds.”...

full article:  http://www.internetretailer.com/dailyNews.asp?id=25835
If you want a real site performance challege try using ##$%&$%$ Zen Cart on a site that receives 15-20K daily page views and has 11,000 products.

I hate Zen!
Hate it!
Hate it!
Hate it!
Hate it!
Hate it!
Hate it!
Hate it!
Hate it!

I now return to tuning httpd.conf and my.conf in an effort to reduce the $#$#%^&* ridiculous server load a large Zen site causes causes...so far this week I've reduced the load from a ridiculous 22% to a still ridiculous 10% on the site's new server. (and that high load is on an AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3 GHz with 4 gb RAM).  Boink Zen Cart.

Boink this smiley too >>> Smile
Boink it!
Boink it!
Boink it!
Boink it!

Confusedtolensmiley:
two words: Heavy Metal
Only if you loan me $12,000 (interest free).  Toothy9
Quote:Server uptime: 12 hours 4 minutes 29 seconds
Total accesses: 77817 - Total Traffic: 247.3 MB
CPU Usage: u2611.52 s405.42 cu0 cs0 - 6.94% CPU load
1.79 requests/sec - 5.8 kB/second - 3332 B/request

I'm done optimizing.  :turkey1:

edit: that should read "I'm done optimizing Apache".  I'm not done with MySQL...