TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: eBay Denied 230 Defense for Its Marketing Representations
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Month old news, but I just noticed it  Icon_albino

Quote: This case explores one of the frontiers of 47 USC 230 jurisprudence--when can 230 preempt a claim that a website made false marketing representations? This issue has been lurking in numerous recent 47 USC 230, but it arises squarely here. Unfortunately, the legal analysis isn't clean or easy.

eBay offers its users the ability to engage in "live bidding" (i.e., bidding via the Internet on auctions taking place in physical space) through third party vendors. eBay's marketing materials described these vendors as "safe" and "carefully-screened, reputable international auction houses" and that the bidding was against "floor bidders" (i.e., people bidding on the physical floor of the auction). The plaintiff claims that instead shill bidders at the auctions caused her to overpay. eBay defends against the claims based on 230 because any falsity introduced into its statements was attributable to the actions of third party vendors...

full article: http://blog.ericgoldman.org/archives/200...ed_230.htm