TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Open Source Forum Software Demos
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
OpenSource CMS has full demos (both frontend and admin demos) of several open source message boards: Simple Machines Forum, phpBB, miniBB, Phorum, phptb, UMB, XMB, and W-Agora.

They also have demos of many other open source scripts: Content Management Systems, Blogs, Groupware, eCommerce Shopping Carts, Image Galleries, and a few other types of programs.
I checked out the SMF one.  Pretty cool.  I thinking about trying to install one  :o but I'm a total moron when it comes to this stuff.
Quote:I have no idea what the "SMF" one is/does
It is forum software (like this one uses - Powered by SMF 1.1 Beta 3 Public).
Quote:I just looked up the defination for CMS and also posted this on Jeremy's forum -- so if CMS if forum software
CMS isn't forum software - it stands for content management system (such as the mambo program Jeremy is using).
[quote author=ginger link=topic=125.msg605#msg605 date=1123804220]
I checked out the SMF one.  Pretty cool.  I thinking about trying to install one  :o but I'm a total moron when it comes to this stuff.
[/quote]

Its fairly easy to install.  I'd install the 1.1 beta version instead of the 1.05 version because it will make future upgrades much easier.  If you installed the 1.05 version you would have to completely redo any modifications/design changes when you upgraded to the 1.1 because the code has changed a lot.
BB how much time and work is involved in maintaining a forum and does it have any impact on ones website? Smileydancingbear
If you have a small forum you won't have to devote a lot of time to maintaining it.

Quote:does it have any impact on ones website?

I've never really tried to use a forum with an ecommerce site...but I would imagine it could either help or hurt your site.  Lol 

On the plus side, if you provide a specialized forum (let's say a beanie babies forum  Smile ) it could attract people to your site by making your site a destination for info on your niche and increase your sales.  On the downside, some of the people on the forum would probably trade amongst themselves and you would lose out on those sales.
Thanks BBH for the info.