TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Sales of .org Domain Grows Fast in India
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:The sales of the ".org" domain -- the Internet address for most nonprofit organizations -- are growing faster in India than any other major nation, a top manager for the domain said Monday.

Although India now accounts for less than 1 percent of the users registered with ".org" worldwide, new Indian users of the domain are growing at a pace matched by few countries

The number of ".org" domain users in India increased 31 percent in the past nine months from a year ago, compared with 9 percent in China and 5 percent in South Korea, Viltz said. Currently, there are 4 million ".org" users worldwide, 90 percent in the United States and Europe. In India, there are about 34,000.

"The dot-org domain is widely perceived as the Internet home for noncommercial organizations. If you have dot-org, your Web site is trusted,"...

full article: http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/051003/india_int....html?.v=2
Quote:"The dot-org domain is widely perceived as the Internet home for noncommercial organizations. If you have dot-org, your Web site is trusted,"...

I can see phishers and other scammers opening up a bunch of web sites to take advantage of this misguided trust  :Smile

If the .org TLD continues to remain popular in India and selling prices for .org names rise I can also see legitimate domain name traders starting to focus on India. Hmmm  Sign13, maybe I should go buy a bunch or .org domain names and try to resell them...but then again maybe not...  :twistedevil:  It could be a while before Indian demand for .org names drives up prices since India is still only a miniscule portion or the ,org world and there's a good chance their belief that .org sites are trustworthy will change when reality sets in.
Hmmm maybe I'll go list that .org domain I registered on a drunken lark last year over on eBay.in ...  Maybe just to see how long it takes before it gets pulled!  Laughing7