TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Designer is powerless to halt sale as stolen collection is auctioned on eBay
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:A leading fashion designer was forced to watch helplessly as a stolen collection of her hand-made clothes was sold for a fraction of its value on the online auction site eBay.

Jessica Ogden said she had notified both eBay and the Metropolitan Police that her stolen clothes were being openly sold, but neither took action.

Ogden said yesterday that the site had now contacted her to apologise for its delay in responding. But the success of the auction site, which is said to have up to 10 million UK users, has been accompanied by persistent reports that it has replaced the pub and the car boot sale as a means of selling goods obtained illegally.

full article: http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/crime/a...324295.ece
That's obviously one cool chick - I'd have gone apeshit with a baseball bat or something on my computer watching that.  And then headed over to the eBay offices.  Knuppel2 Smileybankerflame
Quote:eBay warns customers on its site that any suspicions about stolen items must be reported first to police and that action to bar sellers will only be taken if the site is contacted by police. A spokesman stressed that the company always worked closely with police and that the open nature of the site made it hard for stolen goods to be sold.

Happy001

In another story yesterday an eBay UK spokesperson said "the open nature of the site made it hard for people to commit fraud" .  Umm no, I think the open nature of registration (translation: lack of verification) combined with eBay's inadequate customer service department makes it very easy for stolen good to be sold and users to commit fraud.  By the time eBay gets around to doing anything the scammer has already moved on (or registered a new ID) .