TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Auction Sites Whose Users Are At Risk of Identity Theft By Using the Sites...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
A list of Auction Sites Whose Users Are Putting Themselves At Risk of Identity Theft By Using The Sites because the site owners care so little about safeguarding their users' personal information that they haven't bothered to properly secure all registration, login, and user account pages.

If you don't mind your identity potentially  being stolen by packet sniffing hackers because the following site owners care so little about user security, then by all means rush on over and register at all of these sites.

Sites with unsecure registration, login, and user account pages
Plunderhere.com **
Blujay.com Site's checkout is also unsecure**Self-signed SSL expired on 4/23/07
BiddersNSellers.com **SSL Expired 1/29/08
HiBidder.com **SSL Expired 5/5/08
PatchAuctions.com **
UBidRight.com **
AuctionFire.com **
OvernightAuctions.com **
AtOncer.com**
DealGates.com **
BookAuctionz.com **
KaQoo.com **Self-signed SSL expired 1/26/07
Squeagle.com**

Sites with unsecure login and user account pages
AuctionQuests.com  (unsecure registration is also possible by clicking on the register link on the unsecure login page)**

Sites with unsecure login pages
DomesticSale.com **
AuctionsWorldWide.net **

Sites with unsecure registration pages
iOffer.com **
Loudfrog.com **

LEGEND
**Site owner can't afford the $15 it would take to buy an SSL certificate
**Expired SSL: Site owner can't afford the $15 it would take to renew an SSL certificate
**Site has an SSL certificate but site owner hasn't properly secured all registration, login, and user account pages

note to site owners: If you don't like having your name on this list too boinking bad.  Try taking proper steps to safeguard your users' personal information by securing all registration, login, and user account pages if you want your site removed from this list.
HiBidder might want to think about removing the deceptive "Secured by RapidSSL" seal they display on all of their pages

Quote:www.hibidder.com uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate expired on 5/5/2008 7:56 PM.

(Error code: sec_error_expired_certificate)
Hey Teddy Beartard!

Subtract Plunderhere.com from the list
Add Alsoshop.com and TheTradersPost.com to the noSSL list
[quote author=sneakymagenta link=topic=17986.msg71104#msg71104 date=1215362531]
Hey Teddy Beartard!

[/quote]

Wow. Are you getting soft in your old age, Sneak? That's way nicer than the things you usually call him. lol.  Happy001
[quote author=bargainbloodhound link=topic=17986.msg70739#msg70739 date=1213393648]
A list of Auction Sites Whose Users Are Putting Themselves At Risk of Identity Theft By Using The Sites because the site owners care so little about safeguarding their users' personal information that they haven't bothered to properly secure all registration, login, and user account pages.
[/quote]
Bolding mine.

[quote author=sneakymagenta link=topic=17986.msg71104#msg71104 date=1215362531]
Hey Teddy Beartard!

Subtract Plunderhere.com from the list
Add Alsoshop.com and TheTradersPost.com to the noSSL list
[/quote]
Bolding mine.

I trust I don't have to explain the difference between an auction site and a classifieds site but in any case TTP will be taken down. You may have missed my original post in regards to TTP where I stated we did not want to be an alternative or viewed as an alternative because the only alternative to "eBay" is yourself.

The TTP script was purchased with one reason in mind, to provide a source of extra advertising within a classifieds site to allow people to link to there other sites, mainly websites. While what was originally planned never quite took affect inside TTP the site did serve a profound purpose for 2 very special TCH and TT members. If you remember back around early 08' we ran the SHS promotion through TTP which benefited "Flying High & The Pet Guy" ( Martha And Harold ) through a donation system which went towards Martha's recovery from Cancer. Although the site didn't have a, never could have a & never will have an SSL it did provide for 2 very special online sellers.

As Martha's recovery progressed we turned our attention away from TTP in the hopes of building them a business of which we did.

All while that was going on we were working to correct the SSL issue of which we later found out was not possible but decided to leave the site up for the SHS promotion as we did provide quite a bit of financial support when they needed it most. In any case TTP is no more.

Let the Truth be Told
So you're saying that in order to help one individual, it was okay to place all of the users of TTP at risk? That doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense.....am I missing something? Icon_scratch
Quote:I trust I don't have to explain the difference between an auction site and a classifieds site

BBH's list in the first post contains several classified and non auction sites: domesticsale.com, blujay.com, ioffer.com, loudfrog.com. 

EDIT: TTP was also a member of the United Best Network Alliance Auction Network of EBay alternative sites.
http://www.unitedbest.info/core.htm

Quote:my original post in regards to TTP where I stated we did not want to be an alternative or viewed as an alternative

Joining United Best negated the public statements in the minds of many OAI users and indicated to most OAI users that the site was an Ebay alternative.  If I hold up an orange and publicly state that it's an apple it's still an orange.

summary: I think this was the appropriate thread to mention the lack of an SSL certificate.

EDIT SOME MORE:
Quote:It is/was unique in that it was set up as an advertising outlet.

All classified sites by definition are advertising outlets. 

Anywhere you place an ad for a product, service, or website is an advertising outlet for that matter whether it be TTP, craigslist, Ebay, a blog, or an email campaign.

Quote:who are you to decide what is right or wrong or what is good for the membership of any site?

There are thousands of pages of posts and dozens of threads on both TT and TCH where TT and TCH users are voicing their opinions about what they feel is "good for the membership" of different sites.  Why is it OK to "decide what is right or wrong" for members of sites like Wagglepop, Plunderhere, Ewaey, or Ebay but we should shut our mouths about other sites?  I didn't realize there was a list of sites that it was taboo to mention.
I hardly ever post here but this somewhat involves me. What I don't understand is who are you to decide what is right or wrong or what is good for the membership of any site? TTP was never intended to be an alternative site for anything. It is/was unique in that it was set up as an advertising outlet. This was stated when it was first set up and reaffirmed several times during its life. It was working for us. Now this advertising has been taking away from us when we needed it the most.

Thanks a lot
[quote author=The Pet Guy link=topic=17986.msg71138#msg71138 date=1215397213]
I hardly ever post here but this somewhat involves me. What I don't understand is who are you to decide what is right or wrong or what is good for the membership of any site? TTP was never intended to be an alternative site for anything. It is/was unique in that it was set up as an advertising outlet. This was stated when it was first set up and reaffirmed several times during its life. It was working for us. Now this advertising has been taking away from us when we needed it the most.

Thanks a lot
[/quote]

Sneaky did nothing wrong. It is the owners of TTP that did something wrong. Who are we to judge? I venture to say that most people would agree that it is wrong to knowingly put people at risk of identity theft when they have trusted you with their information. Seems very simple to me.

No amount of good intent makes it right.

If I recall, you and Rat, etc., certainly went after Ray for less. I could be wrong, but I do believe he at least had an SSL.
Quote:who are you to decide what is right or wrong or what is good for the membership of any site?

The reply I used to give Bidbay and Ebay cheerleaders when they questioned my right to criticize shortcomings at their chosen venues was "The first amendment gives me the right to do it.  My desire to help sellers makes me do it".

Quote:an advertising outlet

Sorry. I don't understand the logic of using a free channel like Traders Post with 1,351 monthly uniques which requires you to spend time listing indvidual items while you ignore free channels like TheFind, ShopWiki, MSN Shopping, Jellyfish, Microsoft Cash Back, and MyCoupons that collectively have several million uniques.  These free CSE's will list your entire inventory with minimal time required on your part.  I couldn't find your items on any of these sites. Icon_scratch

Read the articles in the CSE forum or start a new thread if you need help using these channels.  I guarantee these free channels will work better for any seller than a site with 1,351 uniques.
http://community.tuliptools.com/index.ph...081.0.html

Quote:There are thousands of pages of posts and dozens of threads on both TT and TCH where TT and TCH users are voicing their opinions about what they feel is "good for the membership" of different sites.  Why is it OK to "decide what is right or wrong" for members of sites like Wagglepop, Plunderhere, Ewaey, or Ebay but we should shut our mouths about other sites?  I didn't realize there was a list of sites that it was taboo to mention.

Exactly.  Why were there no objections to the listing of SSL-less sites when the names involved were Plunderhere and HiBidder?

Pages: 1 2