TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Domain Name Legal: C.S. Lewis Estate Makes 11 Yr. Old Child Cry
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:Narnia.mobi -- a thoughtful gift for an 11-year-old boy's birthday or an open-and-shut case of cybersquatting?

A Scottish couple was ordered to hand over the narnia.mobi domain name to the estate of C.S. Lewis after an intellectual property agency ruled that the couple acted in bad faith when purchasing the address...

Saville-Smith claimed that he purchased the narnia.mobi address so that he could present his son, a fan of the "Narnia" series, with a Narnia-related e-mail address for his eleventh birthday, which fell on May 20, 2008.

But WIPO found that there was "no indication in the record that [Saville-Smith] had used or made any preparations to use the disputed domain name as an - address before being placed on notice of this dispute by the [Lewis estate] some twenty months later." ...

full article: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2704,2326481,00.asp
Unbelievable. What assholes.  :Smile
Oh, I dunno, Bell... I'm not so torn up about the whole deal.  If domain registrars continue on it's current path of "buy 'em up - all of them, they're cheap", in 10 more years new internet businesses will have to have addresses like this:

newglasswareofallkindsfromglasswareincorporatedlocatedinnorthomaha.com

hehe

:twistedevil:

[quote author=FiberGuy link=topic=18209.msg71681#msg71681 date=1217443196]
Oh, I dunno, Bell... I'm not so torn up about the whole deal.  If domain registrars continue on it's current path of "buy 'em up - all of them, they're cheap", in 10 more years new internet businesses will have to have addresses like this:

newglasswareofallkindsfromglasswareincorporatedlocatedinnorthomaha.com

hehe

:twistedevil:

[/quote]

:blinkie:

True, Fg, but it's so unfair.  Tongue