TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Presidential Candidate Domain Name Registrations
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Quote:I have been trying to determine if this is a hoax, but not having any real luck

I don't know if it's a hoax or not but I can say with 100% certainty that the writer of the GovGap article is a friggin' moron who is clueless about domain registrations. Happy001

The "evidence" of ownership he gives earns him  a place in the moron hall of fame.

Quote:URL Registered within hours of McCain’s Decision to select Palin as running mate

After any major event dozens of related domain names are registered "within hours" -search TT for Virginia Tech and Hurricane Katrina for 2 examples

Quote:Whois Privacy Information Matches JohnMcCain.com Whois Privacy

7,269,549 other domains also match the JohnMcCain.com WHOIS Privacy information.

Quote:URL Held by same registrar

26% of all domain names in existence use the same registrar as johnmccain.com

Quote:Note that the .net and .org versions also redirect to the McCain Campaign Website.

I can register doofus.com/.net/.org and redirect all of them to Yahoo.com but that doesn't mean I'm the owner of Yahoo.com or that Yahoo is the owner of doofus.com
[quote author=regic link=topic=18495.msg72735#msg72735 date=1222974916]
Quote:I have been trying to determine if this is a hoax, but not having any real luck

I don't know if it's a hoax or not but I can say with 100% certainty that the writer of the GovGap article is a friggin' moron who is clueless about domain registrations. Happy001  Yeah, i realize that. Hey! Better late than never.   Tard

The "evidence" of ownership he gives earns him  a place in the moron hall of fame.

Quote:URL Registered within hours of McCain’s Decision to select Palin as running mate

After any major event dozens of related domain names are registered "within hours" -search TT for Virginia Tech and Hurricane Katrina for 2 examples

Quote:Whois Privacy Information Matches JohnMcCain.com Whois Privacy

7,269,549 other domains also match the JohnMcCain.com WHOIS Privacy information.

Quote:URL Held by same registrar

26% of all domain names in existence use the same registrar as johnmccain.com

Quote:Note that the .net and .org versions also redirect to the McCain Campaign Website.

I can register doofus.com/.net/.org and redirect all of them to Yahoo.com but that doesn't mean I'm the owner of Yahoo.com or that Yahoo is the owner of doofus.com
[/quote]

I still believe it's true, in part because the timing of the redirection of the domain to wikipedia was just too coincidental (tthe WP article), and in part because it seems like something that the sleazy McCain campaign would do.
Pages: 1 2