TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Guidelines for making your ecommerce site compatible with all browsers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:A customer is visiting your e-commerce Web site. She's decided to do more online shopping this holiday season to save on gasoline and find the lowest prices. She's using a Mac running Safari, but your site is optimized for Internet Explorer (IE) 7 and your development budget is mainly focused on preparing for IE 8. She selects a few products and heads for the shopping cart, but the "checkout" button isn't available. Frustrated, she's off to another site. You've lost the sale.

IT managers are now working feverishly to avoid this type of incident, which underscores a current fact of life for Web site designers, Web application developers and your entire IT department: Web pages can look and perform differently from one browser to another...

full article: http://ecommercetimes.com/story/Getting-...64924.html
I am a website tester , thats why we always check it in different browser . The importnat thing is that you have to find out that whether your site is compliant with all the browser or n't , if you publish it without any test , then the customer will have to face lots of problem .Specially if it is a
ecommerce site.

spam links removed, spammer banned
Why should a site owner need to bother with how their pages are viewed?

No, just do what Mike from Atomic Mall does. He decided his site is best viewed with Firefox. So, he pretty much makes anyone not using Firefox feel like a moron. Be sure to update as well, so you don't end up a moron for having an out of date browser.

If you've installed an addon, be sure it works with Mike's site before you get attached to it. However, you will need to have Quicktime.

And, watch your security settings. If your security is too high, the pages will get messed up. If you're on dial-up, you'll have to read what's going on as the images will take awhile to load.
Quote:Why should a site owner need to bother with how their pages are viewed?

No, just do what Mike from Atomic Mall does. He decided his site is best viewed with Firefox.

* :-[ hangs head in shame  :-[ *

I started work on a Magento site last week and hadn't bothered to test it yet in Internet Explorer until I saw this thread.  Smileyyellowbang

note: unlike AM, I will be fully testing my Magento site for browser compatibility before it opens...and it won't require the majority of buyers to scroll sideways to see the entire page (the AM feature that annoys me the most).
[quote author=bargainbloodhound link=topic=18620.msg74240#msg74240 date=1239212246]
Quote:Why should a site owner need to bother with how their pages are viewed?

No, just do what Mike from Atomic Mall does. He decided his site is best viewed with Firefox.

* :-[ hangs head in shame  :-[ *

I started work on a Magento site last week and hadn't bothered to test it yet in Internet Explorer until I saw this thread.  Smileyyellowbang

[/quote]

You certainly deserve at least 50 lashes or so with a horsewhip.........or something.  Confusedtolensmiley:
Quote:the AM feature that annoys me the most

Their  Smileykoolaid drinking  Cowcheer Cowcheer Cowcheer are the feature that makes we want to Puke the most