TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Alternatives to Offering Free Shipping
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:Other alternatives to across-the-board free shipping are:

* Discounts that are proportional to the order amount. Tip: If your average order is $90, try offering free shipping on orders over $100 to increase your average order size.

* Working with manufacturers to offer co-op ad dollars for certain brands or products. Tip: This type of offer can increase sales for overstock items.

* Free in-store pickup when a site visitor is near a brick-and-mortar location.

* Free shipping based on delivery location. Luke Knowles, Founder of FreeShipping.org, an Internet-based free shipping resource for consumers, estimates that more than half of all free shipping offers are only for deliveries within the continental United States. Tip: Don't forget about Alaska and Hawaii to create a competitive advantage over your competitors.

* Free shipping based on loyalty and membership. Some online retailers offer free shipping to customers who have joined a special 'free shipping' club that usually carries an annual membership fee. Tip: Free shipping clubs build both loyalty and market share.

* Flat-rate shipping. Flat-rate shipping is not exactly free shipping, but shipping prices are as low as the retailer is willing to go...

full article: http://www.ecommerce-guide.com/news/tren...hp/3792731
The one question I have about including Hawaii and Alaska are how much are the shipping rates compared to the continental U.S.? I wouldn't have a problem offering free shipping to them if it wasn't too much more to ship there. I do like the first tip in offering free shipping with a minimum order. I think this makes the person add one or more extra things to their cart that they really didn't need but bought anyway for the free shipping. Has anyone read any tips of internet marketing blogs or e-commerce blogs?