TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: RSS Technology Expanded to eBay Stores
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:***RSS Technology Expanded to eBay Stores*** 

November 10, 2005 | 02:43PM PST/PT

Hi, I'm Arturo Zacarias, a senior product manager for Platform and New Technologies. We understand that members are always looking for ways to stay on top of the information that is most important to them. RSS (  ), which is essentially short for "Really Simple Syndication" (some people prefer to call it "Rich Site Summary"), is a technology that makes it easy to see updated headlines from websites or pages that you like. This year we have been working to incorporate this technology for members to utilize on eBay.

You may have already seen this option on the eBay Discussion Boards, as well as on this Announcement Board, and now we are pleased to announce that we've expanded this RSS technology further on the site. eBay Stores sellers are now able to set up a "feed" that will send out a regularly updated summary of the most recently-listed items in their Store to people who subscribe to it. This can be a great way for your customers to keep informed about your new listings.

If you're a Store owner who is interested in providing listings via RSS feeds, go to "Manage My Store > Listing Feeds (within Store Marketing)". Click on "Distribute your listings via RSS" and click "Apply". The RSS button should appear on the lower left hand side of your Store.

To subscribe to a RSS feed, you'll need an RSS reader or aggregator to gather and view the updates. Several free and commercial RSS readers are available, and some examples can be seen here . Once you have an RSS reader, simply go to the bottom of any RSS-enabled page you are interested in, click on the RSS button, copy the URL from the page that opens, and paste it into your reader to display the content in RSS.

We are working to add RSS to other areas as well in the coming months, so stay tuned.
Enhancement after enhancement after enhancement.
All or many coming out NOW and in the next few weeks or so?

Didn’t they say they were NOT going to roll out “enhancements” during the holiday season? ???

Oh well as soon as those morons said that. Everyone probably already realized that what they meant was once again, they are going to be screwing up the site just in time for the holidays.

People there truly is NO WAY they can be this stupid.

eBay for what ever reasons seems to be intentionally sabotaging it’s core business.

I’m sure relieved that many of you have websites and other venues to augment the flat sales you may be having or will experience due to all these “enhancements” bumping into each other on feebays servers and all the “new and improved” learning curves
they are throwing out left and right for both buyers and sellers.

Case in point, at least for me and some others I’ve seen reporting.
I took advantage of the 10 cent Fix Price listing deal.
Have NOT had ONE SALE from them on ebay and it is November 10th?
A couple of years ago most we would be really raking in sales
and orders from ebay right about now.

So glad that my websites sales are UP two fold in the last few weeks or so. Laughing7

To me that translates into what I and many have been saying for quit some time now.

The buyers just are NOT at the bay like they used to be.
AND WE ALL KNOW WHY don’t we? Thumbsup

But hey I’m not upset it’s just sad to see all the negative things ebays management and teams have done to its cash cow (the ebay US site) in the last 18 months or so. :blinkie:
Quote:Didn’t they say they were NOT going to roll out “enhancements” during the holiday season?

Oh well as soon as those morons said that. Everyone probably already realized that what they meant was once again, they are going to be screwing up the site just in time for the holidays.

Check out the threads on half.com if you want to see a prime example of screwing up sellers' holiday sales with site enhancements.  They redid the ENTIRE site on October 20th.  Everything they added or changed is broken including the sellers getting paid.

EDITED: Overstock has had seller RSS feeds since the beginning of the year.  Our web sites have RSS feeds.  eBay was  a little slow in implementing RSS  :twistedevil:
I was reading that half thread too Amy. Sad indeed.  :'(
I don't even know what rss really is.

I do know this. I keep  Walk  further and further away from any of theses
sites that keep doing things that are the BUZZ or the supposed TREND of the week.

If it gets me sales that is all I care about and the simple SEO I do
(just putting stuff out there on free and low cost auction sites or ad sites)
seems to be getting me high enough in the search ranks and new people are
finding my site all the time.

Now I just hope it stays that way.
I don’t even look at counter stats and stuff like that hardly anymore
unless all of a sudden sales just stop dead.

I don’t even have any counters at feebay anymore.
The way I figure at least for feebay items, I’ve done just about everything
I can do to get them to look at my stuff
and make it pretty easy for them to close the deal.
But Hey, if they aren’t their in the first place, what can we do to get them there right?

As far a site promotion. Over the years I’ve looked into webrings, CPC ads, email mass mailings (OK did that once a few years back NEVER again as it did NOT produce
results and I may have actually lost a few customers because of it me thinks)…
I’ve tried all kinds of stuff but I actually found in some ways, less is more.

Know what I mean pretty momma? (In my Elvis voice) Lol