TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Consumers Fear Holiday Theft Of Credit Data: IBM Survey
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:Consumers fear their personal information will be stolen over the holidays and are altering their behavior because of it, according to a new survey commissioned by IBM.

Two-thirds said they are more concerned about fraud and identity theft than they were a year ago. Half said online purchases are most worrisome, and 49 percent said they believe phone transactions are risky.

One-third of cardholders who believe they are vulnerable said they would spend less this year on online purchases than they have in the past...

full article: http://internetweek.cmp.com/news/174300830
They had this topic on the news two nights ago (I was watching a Seattle news channel) and they said that of all the credit card fraud that happens in the USA only a small percentage of it happens on the internet.  They said that people are worried about entering their credit card info on the internet but they have no problem giving their credit card to a waiter/waitress in a restaurant who takes their credit card to the back or someplace out of view of the customer and swipe their card? 

His saying that got me to thinking about how many times I give my card to servers in restaurants and they disappear with it and I'm trusting them? 

Or people freely give their credit card information over the phone just because someone "claims" they are from a charity or even if it is really a company they think it is there is always the possibility of someone listening in on your phone conversation and hearing your number (how many times have I been on the phone and in the background I can hear other people's conversations faintly - from lines crossing or something).
I’ve spoken with many who have online purchase concerns.
But the fear has been misplaced and instilled by some of the largest organizations
on the net. One very large organization comes to mind who has been actively and continues to instill this misplaced fear just to try and gain customers for its payment service.
Using jargon, slogans and “protection” polices in a false and misleading way and instilling
widespread fear is indeed a sleazy way to try and gain trust in a certain BRAND over others.

Strangely enough the company I’m speaking of has had it’s customers cards and information “compromised more than once in recent years. The latest being over 20,000 cards and not a peep from the company about it?

Related topic: eBay Boards Thread: PayPal debit card - Tens of Thousands cards compromised

http://community.tuliptools.com/index.ph...293.0.html

The truth is that your cc info is more vulnerable as Nat says:
Over the phone or when a waiter/waitress in a restaurant takes your credit card
to the back or someplace out of view to swipe the card.

A close friend of mine works in the fraud department of a major CC issuer
and this is truly the case according to her years of experience in handling cc fraud reports.

Of course then there is that certain BRAND who is the leader in cc fraud problems.  :Smile
Quote:The truth is that your cc info is more vulnerable as Nat says:
Over the phone or when a waiter/waitress in a restaurant takes your credit card
to the back or someplace out of view to swipe the card.

That is true.  Most credit card transactions on the Internet are completely automated and no one ever sees your full credit card number.