TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Scam/spoof email from eBay member!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is what I received from a member who registered today in Singapore:

Quote:Hello,
I  am interest in purchasing your item with no delay,but first? What is the final price of the item? Is the price firm? Will you be accepting a US certified Cashiers Check/money order?

Contact me with the present state of the item and your contact information to mail out the payment to you as soon as possible. Name you
want on check: Home Address: City: State: Country: Phone Number/Office Number.
Regards

I didn't reply, the question is pretty much irrelevant since we offer services!  Few minutes later I get this from moreinfo@eBay.com (T&S).

Quote:Our records indicate that you recently sent an email to or received an email from xxxxxx through the eBay email system (for example, you may have sent an email to this member through Ask Seller a Question or received an email from this member through Contact eBay Member).

Sometimes eBay accounts are used to send email solicitations for transactions outside of eBay, or to send unrelated questions in hopes that you will respond so that the other party can obtain your email address. We wanted you to be aware of the potential fraud risk these solicitations pose and encourage you to be cautious about the email you received from this member.

Please keep in mind, sales that take place outside of eBay are not eligible for any eBay or PayPal protective services and you run the risk of losing your money or your item if you complete these transactions. We would encourage you to review the eBay pages related to Fraud Protection at the address provided below for information on steps you can take to ensure that your transactions are successful:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/tp/isgw-buyer...steps.html

If you have already sent the item or sent payment for the item, please reply to this email and we will send you additional information about how to protect yourself.

Did the wording of the email trigger some filters?  It doesn't look like eBay realized that it's a scam!  Looks like all they are worried about is transactions taking place outside of eBay!  Tard
Quote:Looks like all they are worried about is transactions taking place outside of eBay!
O0

magnoliamaggie

I think it's a stock letter.  A lot of ebay sellers/buyers are furious about it, as it paints everyone as dishonest.  Bunch of carp.  I'd still be very careful of the solicitation. 
I sent eBay about 10 emails alerting them to an eBayer who had registered that day in India, purchased an item from me then emailed me 3 times (spamming me) with junk from their store (they sold the same item they had bought from me) wanting me to buy from them in bulk:  "we'll beat the price you currently pay for these items, blah blah..."  eBay never even bothered to send me a reply for notifying them of this.  I reported it on every technicality I could think of and I filed a UPI etc...  eBay customer service is not really service that for the benefit of the customer I don't think BangHead