TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Not a virgin anymore . . .
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Got my first pink slap today. 

OK, not entirely surprised.  I figured the post entitled "Lying Sack of Sh*t B*astards" would be hard to miss.

The short version:

eBay's official policy is that they do not record the IP addresses of visitors to their *venue*. 

The do not now have the IP address of my would be hacker.

They never had the IP address of my would be hacker.

They never had my hacker's IP address because he never successfully logged in.  (They only record IP addresses of folks who log into a specific account.  Bs)

The folks at eBay who confirmed that the hacking attempts were coming from a different IP address in Georgia, not my own . . . well, they must have just been confused.  eBay doesn't know *what* they could have been talking about.

Lying sack of sh*t  b*stards.
  Tongue2
welcome to the club  Occasion18
Quote:  They never had the IP address of my would be hacker.

Happy001

In order for that to be true they would have to turn off all logging on their servers and I don't think even eBay is dumb enough to put themselves at that big of a security risk by doing something like that

*As Cowboy Jay would say, Gee look at that, in the time it took me to type this post I just added 3 more hacker wannabee IP addresses to the firewall on one of our servers (I really did  Smile ). *
The good news is . . . my Detective is willing to prosecute if I can prove eBay is lying.  They can be found in contempt of court.  Meg won't go to jail, but they'll have to pony up some $$$. 

The bad news is . . . he's pretty much closed the file.    He is certainly willing to reopen it, if I can catch them in this dirty rotten lie.  And he is certainly very clear that their OFFICIAL response - the guy he spoke with put him on hold to check it with a supervisor - is that eBay does NOT have access to the IP addresses of anyone who visits their site unless they log into an eBay account.

Quote:if I can prove eBay is lying.

Which would be next to impossible to do because eBay could always try to place the blame on "misinformed"/"confused" individual customer service reps for any statements they made to you about eBay knowing the IPs.

EDITED to add:

Identifying and blocking the IPs of malicious hackers/malware spreaders, etc., etc. isn't very difficult.  Look at this list of IPs that DNSStuff has blocked from their servers (almost 148,000 blocked IPs)

http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/banned.ch?ip=222.66.0.5

For eBay to say they don't have access to the IPs of site visitors unless the visitor logs into an account is a crock of shit.
I kinda figured that if I have access to IP addresses of visitors with my $4 a month GoDaddy webhosting account . . . that eBay does as well.

They did *blame* the Live Help agents.  The Detective ASKED about the chats - copies of which they sent him - where poor confused eBay employees are clearly talking about an identified IP address.  (And not mine.)   

The T&S rep today said he didn't know what those poor confused eBay employees were looking at or talking about.   

Of course, some WERE T&S employees. 

And they must have all been sharing the same Kool Aid because they all agreed on the number of attempts and the location of the IP address.    Smileykoolaid
I wonder how many accounts my hacker has tried to hack in the last two months?
I wonder how many times he scored?
I wonder why I care about that and eBay doesn't?

Quote:Quote
if I can prove eBay is lying.

Which would be next to impossible to do because eBay could always try to place the blame on "misinformed"/"confused" individual customer service reps for any statements they made to you about eBay knowing the IPs.

Maybe not

Remember on the Ebay special hour long thing they did on Fox news or MSNBC (not sure which), well when they interviewed the trust & safety guy didnt he say that they track everyone that comes to the site and can tell where they go and how long they stay (he did that right in front of a monitor screen).  Maybe you can get a copy of that special and check to see.  Hope i'm right, anyone else remember this?

Angel  Angel12
I'll try to track that down.

I spent a bit last night on the net trying to pin language down.  I found it in the privacy policies from the UK and Australia (I think those were the two) but it's worded slightly different in the US. 

I'd love an interview that appeared on National TV with a T&S big wig.

I'm sure they'll say he was just confused, too, but it's a start.

Beth
Here you go Iron

"The eBay Effect" CNBC

Quote:Ebay’s Network Operating Center keeps track of every transaction, every visit to the eBay auction site. That means that, at any minute of the day, eBay knows exactly where its money is coming from, how many people are on the site, their listings per second, the number of bids and so on. This monitoring allows eBay to troubleshoot problems.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8391726/

The network has the interview footage.

Pages: 1 2 3