TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: eBay rolls back code "released" on the "community" 6 days before Christmas
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well, I thought that last week's picture mangling debacle was the last thing eBay would do to try to destroy folks' Christmas season sales.  Remember that one, where new "code" made one's photos hosted off eBay to look like a fun house mirror?  Thankfully, I had three off-eBay sales to customers who could not see the photos during that time.

But no, there is more:

***Sign In Slow*** 

December 19, 2005 | 06:25AM PST/PT

We are aware that Sign In may be slow or intermittently unavailable for some members. We are working on this problem, and we appreciate your patience.

Link to this announcement | Back to top

***Sign In Issues Update*** 

December 17, 2005 | 12:59AM PST/PT

Earlier this evening, we received reports from a few members who were experiencing issues with Sign In. Our engineers have rolled back some newly released code that may have been related to this issue. We are continuing to monitor this situation closely, and we appreciate your patience.

Link to this announcement | Back to top

Oh, ebAy, how long mush you hoist yourself with your own petard?
Not being able to sign in is a minor inconvenience.  The important thing is eBay was thinking of its sellers and didn't change the category structure during the holiday rush.  Happy001

They failed to mention in their sign in announcements that  Bad Programming by eBay Puts Users Who Sign Into the Site At Extreme Risk
What a bunch of morons. I can only hope they just miss their revenue targets so someone can ask what impact an outage days before Christmas made. They could replace the management with a representative population from any large zoo and things might well improve. I doubt they could get any worse.

Bob
Quote:so someone can ask what impact an outage days before Christmas made.

I think the glitches during the holiday 2003 selling season were worse (in terms of lost sales) because they started Labor Day.  Our sales were down 50% from the prior year during Nov/Dec of that year due to the glitches (disappearing store items, and a glitch in the item specifics in our main category after they introduced them in our category in the middle of the holiday selling season). That was the year that convinced us to move most of our selling off ebay.  Smile