TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Man Pleads Guilty to Hacking eBay
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Quote:An Oregon man has pleaded guilty to charges he used a computer worm to infect as many as 20,000 computers, which then attacked eBay.com and other Web sites two years ago.

Anthony Clark, 21, of Beaverton, Ore., entered his plea Tuesday afternoon in San Jose federal court. He was charged with intentionally damaging a protected computer. He will be sentenced in April and faces a maximum 10 years in prison and a $250,000 fine.

Clark and unnamed accomplices launched a ``distributed denial of service'' attack against eBay's auction Web site in summer 2003, automatically bombarding the site with massive amounts of fake Internet traffic in an attempt to cripple the company's network...

full article: http://www.broward.com/mld/mercurynews/b...source=rss&channel=mercurynews_business
Sonderby would not discuss how investigators tracked down Clark, or other details of the investigation.

Presumably eBay was able to somehow identify *this* IP address.

LSOSB.
Quote:Presumably eBay was able to somehow identify *this* IP address.

Probably by pulling out the White Pages, covering their eyes and pointing to a number.  Calling the number and asking, "Hey, you haven't by any chance been hacking our site, have you?"

Eventually they might just get lucky.
Quote:automatically bombarding the site with massive amounts of fake Internet traffic in an attempt to cripple the company's network...

On a related note, eBay now pays this guy a licence fee to use this idea themselves, to convince sellers and shareholders that traffic continues to increase in record amounts...
Happy001
[quote author=dnc_ont link=topic=1937.msg6811#msg6811 date=1135879717]
On a related note, eBay now pays this guy a licence fee to use this idea themselves, to convince sellers and shareholders that traffic continues to increase in record amounts...
Happy001
[/quote]

That would explain the numbers they report.  Happy001

iron_chick Wrote:Presumably eBay was able to somehow identify *this* IP address.

LSOSB.

Strange isn't it? eBay said they only record IPs that log in to an account, and yet in a DDOS attack like this none of the 20,000 attacking computers would have even tried to log in...yet eBay somehow had their IPs...L.S.O.S.B.

I feel another pink slap coming . . . .

http://forums.ebay.com/db2/thread.jspa?m...1003119952

I forgot to add: LSOSB 
Trey locked the thread.  Smile
I posted in all of the ones he posted in.

He ignored me in all of them, too.

LSOSB.
He answered me in that thread before he locked it.  Smileytongueout
I know.

He even answered BBH.
Hell, he answered everyone.
He answered questions that were already answered.

Except me and mine. 

I'm beginning to the think they don't like me.  :-(

OK, maybe they just don't like my questions.
Pages: 1 2