TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Buyer Beware: eBay Mystery Box Auctions Are Often Worthless, Not As Described
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Quote:over 99% of the people selling on ebay don't calculate their time spent doing business there.

A large number of sellers also don't calculate their actual EXPENSES (or PROFIT/LOSS) until tax time rolls around. They only track their sales.  Every year you see people posting on the eBay boards from Feb-April,  "I thought I was doing good, but it turns out I just broke even (or had a small loss)".  I think the title of this post sums it up pretty well "Sometimes you get so busy you lose track of profit margin" and this line from that post "some items listed and sold are actually generating negative profits."
[quote author=dimucci link=topic=1973.msg6999#msg6999 date=1136253193]
I never worried when I bought in the old days.  Now I do.
[/quote]

Mass market appeal brings out everyone, saints and sinners. Teu26
I think there are mannnnnnny sellers losing their asses.  It is the thrill of the sale or the "get rich fast" line of thinking.
get rich fast is another way of saying watch the listing fees run up your credit card debt fast  :twistedevil:
My particular favorites are variations on the themes: "I'm tired of working for a living so I thought I'd get rich on line" and "Can any of you guys tell me where you get your stuff to resell so I can be your competition?"

Quote:the "get rich fast" line of thinking.

I blame it on both infomercials, books, etc. promoting the idea of "get rich fast, no work required" and on eBay and the media promoting the idea that selling on eBay is an "easy way to earn a living".  EBay is also to blame because it promotes the idea that if you open an eBay store (or better yet upgrade to a featured store) you will make more money just by opening the store.
you will make more money just by opening the store.

Meg'll make more money. 

Does anything else really matter in eBay land??  Smileykoolaid
[quote author=iron_chick link=topic=1973.msg7091#msg7091 date=1136425609]
Meg'll make more money.
[/quote]

That's for sure, especially if one opens a store on the ebay.ca site since who can find them there anyway?  I had a store but I had mine on the .com site.
Quote:especially if one opens a store on the ebay.ca site since who can find them there anyway?

I think eBay is trying to push all of the .ca store owners to the .com site and will eventually stop offering separate .ca stores.
Pages: 1 2