TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Buyer Beware: eBay Mystery Box Auctions Are Often Worthless, Not As Described
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Quote:Scott Neuman has purchased four mystery boxes on eBay, and he says all were worthless or not as described. He won a mystery box for $510 in October that promised at least 10 items described as extravagant gifts received from the seller's now ex-husband...

Scott filed a complaint with PayPal stating the items were not as described. "Paypal.com said they would not refund the amount paid, $500.00 because it was a mystery box and wasn't dramatically different from the description."

However, the seller is now NARU (eBay's term for a suspended or closed account).

full article: http://www.auctionbytes.com/cab/abn/y05/m12/i30/s02
Quote:promised at least 10 items described as extravagant gifts

What one person thinks is extravagant another might not.  So even though the buyer didn't think they were extravagant, maybe they were extravagant to the seller.

A $5-$20 mystery box auction I might go for but over $500? That to me would be too risky as the stuff might be worth that much or might be extravagant to the seller but when I see it I might think it's junk.  I'm more willing to risk a small amount but not a lot of money like that.
Wow, I can't imagine bidding 500 bucks on a mystery box! 
I thought  every eBay purchase was a "mystery box"  Laughing7
I never worried when I bought in the old days.  Now I do.
Ah, the old days. Icon_farao
I never used to worry in the old days, either. It really was kinda like a community. Now I rarely buy anything on ebay. I pay extra to buy things elsewhere. And I haven't listed anything to sell in over a year. The ebay ship has sailed.  Pirate2 (Wow! The Bear has a smiley for every occassion). ~Bob
I was hoping to be one that would help to bring eBay down or at least be around long enough to watch 'em sink, but it gets toooo exhausting ranting on a daily basis. 
[quote author=Anita link=topic=1973.msg7033#msg7033 date=1136307148]
or at least be around long enough to watch 'em sink[/quote]

Based on the number of threads titles that contain the phrase "St. Elsewhere" on the eBay Stores board, I think they're doing a pretty good job of alienating their original target market/"community".  Smile
[quote author=bargainbloodhound link=topic=1973.msg7034#msg7034 date=1136309085]

Based on the number of threads titles that contain the phrase "St. Elsewhere" on the eBay Stores board, I think they're doing a pretty good job of alienating their original target market/"community".  Smile
[/quote]

Heh . . . it has been a major topic of conversation lately, hasn't it?  Occasion18

This board is for eBay members to learn more about eBay Stores from other community members, with review and support from eBay staff.

Maybe if the eBay staff did a little more review and support and a lot less spouting  Bs followed by the big duck and run, the Stores Board wouldn't be evolving into a great place to learn about  St. Elsewheres. Smile

Two of my relentless past competitors closed their ebay stores in December. One was a powerseller and still could not make a profit there because of the unrealistically high fees and dismal sell-through rate. I closed my store and stopped selling on ebay a year ago December. I think that over 99% of the people selling on ebay don't calculate their time spent doing business there. Most of them could find better paying jobs on the outside. However, for many stay at home Moms or Dads, it may still work for them. But for those who are not tied to their homes, there are better opportunities out there. ~Bob
Pages: 1 2