TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Grunge Rockers Pearl Jam Win Internet Domain Name Dispute
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:The National Arbitration Forum announced today that a ruling has been issued in favor of alternative rock band Pearl Jam regarding the rights to pearljams.com.

Pearl Jam, A General Partnership, represented by Leslie C. Ruiter of Stokes Lawrence, P.S., filed a complaint electronically with the National Arbitration Forum on November 8, 2005, asserting legal rights to the domain name pearljams.com. The address was registered with Domain Systems, Inc. by the Respondent, Vertical Axis, Inc. c/o Domain Administrator, on August 25, 2005. The panel found that the domain was being used without permission to refer Internet users to a variety of commercial web sites unrelated to Pearl Jam, including links to "Sponsored Results for Eddie Vedder," "Eddie Vedder at Amazon.com, Pearl Jam and Eddie Vedder-$9.99 and Eddie Vedder on Yahoo!Music," and, later, to categorized links, including links to "Freshwater Pearl," "Jam," and "Eddie Vedder," as well as "chess," "music," "Fischer," "ICC," and "Blitz."

full press release: http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/051229/cgth024.html?.v=38
I can't stand Pearl Jam.  Pretentious ugly guy.  Ick.  I'm happy they won because the decision sends a message.  Now other trademark owners needs to sue the other 5 million typo domain cybersquattin' Adsense/Affiliate garbage sites that clog up the search engines.
copy of the arbitration panel's decision: http://www.arb-forum.com/domains/decisions/593325.htm

Quote:the other 5 million typo domain cybersquattin' Adsense/Affiliate garbage sites that clog up the search engines

I think the search engines are fighting a losing battle against all of the AdSense/Affiliate link sites.
So this is all that is required to zap 'em?

Quote:(1)  the domain name registered by Respondent is identical or confusingly similar to a trademark or service mark in which Complainant has rights; and

(2)  Respondent has no rights or legitimate interests in respect of the domain name; and

(3)  the domain name has been registered and is being used in bad faith.