TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Chutnoon: Local Search Engine Wants to Become Google of Korea
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:When Chang Byung-gyu jumped into the crowded search engine market last year, his friends and colleagues regarded him as a maverick with little chance of success.

Chang began trying to convince them of the possibility of his envisioned search engine, named ``Chutnoon,’’ by launching its beta service, brimming with potential.

Chang’s idea is to add local relevance to its in-house developed search engine similar to that of Google and the work is underway with the aim of rolling out it in a full-fledged manner this year.

In doing so, Chutnoon hopes to customize its offerings to the cultural fabric of Korea’s cyberspace by creating a ranking mechanism specific to the country...

... ``But we took one step forward for Korean users who prefer copying contents and pasting them in Web pages rather than making links to original Web pages. We will give a higher ranking for a site with materials copied by other pages,’’ Chang noted.

full article: http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/tech/200...211780.htm

The Chutnoon search engine is at: http://www.1noon.com/
Quote:But we took one step forward for Korean users who prefer copying contents and pasting them in Web pages rather than making links to original Web pages. We will give a higher ranking for a site with materials copied by other pages,’’

I like that idea better than when Google or Yahoo penalize the original site for duplicate content  because another site copied its pages.
Quote:I like that idea better than when Google or Yahoo penalize the original site for duplicate content  because another site copied its pages.

Yeah, agreed - sites that have their content stolen deserve to rank higher, not lower!
Buy 50 domain names, set up 50 mirrors, and you'll rank #1.  Too much potential for abuse.
[quote author=regic link=topic=2115.msg7411#msg7411 date=1136935989]
Buy 50 domain names, set up 50 mirrors, and you'll rank #1.  Too much potential for abuse.
[/quote]

Google PR ranking and every other measure Google uses to determine SERPs are just as open to abuse.

I think Chutnoon will have a problem when they expand beyond Korea.  They're obviously going to have to use links not copied content as a ranking measure when they index most non-Korean sites while still keeping the copied content ranking for Korean sites.

It also has news, shopping, blog, and message board searches

I like it even if I can't read it.  Big Grin

Quote:I think Chutnoon will have a problem when they expand beyond Korea.

I don't.