TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: You Gotta Love AOL...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Quote: Many consumers complained that AOL personnel ignored their demands to cancel service and stop billing.

http://www.theregister.com/2005/08/25/ao...ice_probe/
AOL isn't so bad as long as you don't have to deal with their employees... EVER. 

I recently had COX add new features to my phone and cable without my permission.  They won't return my phone calls or e-mails.  I have been IGNORED for almost two months now.  I finally decided to pay only for the services I had before they decided to "enhance" a few things.  I expect they will be calling ME very soon. 

I think customer service, in general, has gone out the window.  Considering there is so much competition in many areas, you would think service would get better and not worse.
Quote:I think customer service, in general, has gone out the window.

I'll agree with that.  Smile

Several years ago I had an AOL account just so I could test my web sites' for compatibility with their browser....and when I cancelled the account they did continue to bill me even after the cancellation, but AOL isn't alone in doing that.  I think continuing to bill former customers after they cancel the service is the norm  Wink--I've also had it happen with Verizon, Sprint, Authorizenet, Commission Junction, and 2 web hosting companies.

The same thing happened to me a few years ago with AOL.  Hated them ever since  >Big Grin

[quote author=bargainbloodhound link=topic=238.msg1017#msg1017 date=1125002849]
AOL isn't alone in doing that.  I think continuing to bill former customers after they cancel the service is the norm
[/quote]

Makes me suspect lots of people never check their credit card bills -- No wonder there are so many bankruptcies.
Quote:A lawsuit seeking to potentially cover hundreds of thousands of America Online Inc. subscribers accuses the Time Warner Inc. unit of illegally billing customers by creating secondary accounts for them without their consent.

The lawsuit, filed last month in St. Clair County Circuit Court on behalf of 10 AOL customers in six states, claims the company confused and deceived customers about the charges, stalled them from canceling unauthorized accounts and refused to return questioned fees.

full article: http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/aol02.html
Quote:AOL has agreed to cough up as much as $25m to settle a class action lawsuit that alleged the giant ISP "wrongfully billed consumers".

According to a statement issued Friday, the settlement covers claims that AOL "wrongfully billed consumers for online services, such as additional and 'spun-off' AOL accounts, and other services and products, such as AOL Desk Planner, without first receiving consumers' consent or authorization".

full article: http://www.out-law.com/page-6518
Cash refunds of $25-$80.  Receiving a refund depends on whether you have documentation, filed a complaint with AOL about the overbilling, etc.

Customers must submit claim forms by April 24. Claim forms can be ordered by calling 1-800-409-3089. Claim forms and more information also available at the class action lawyers site  www.unauthorizedchargeslitigation.com. (forms are in .PDF format)

I received the paperwork for the class action lawsuit.  My only billing issue involved a spin off account from a looooooong time ago.  It was resolved after a few heated arguments.

Anyhow, who keeps documentation for that long???
AOL has been guilty of doing this for a loooong time at least from the late 1980s early 1990s, back when I was still a member. Yes I am an old fart who remembers using AOL from DOS interface. Smile

In any case it is good to see them punished but only people getting rich of this will be a few class action lawyers, not the end customers.
Pages: 1 2