TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: eBay's misleading use of registered users figures instead of active users
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
[quote author=amy link=topic=2232.msg8325#msg8325 date=1138203936]
PayPal membership numbers from PayPal release:  out of the 96.2 million accounts it had in Q4 2005, just 28.1 million were considered active.

68.1 million inactive users
28.1 million active users
[/quote]

Is this in ebay's Q4 2005 or does PP have their own Q4?
Quote:Is this in ebay's Q4 2005 or does PP have their own Q4?

The PayPal active users figures are in the " PayPal Unaudited Supplemental Operating Data" section of the eBay Q4 2005.

That 96.2 million figures also includes "users who made payments with PayPal but have not registered"
Quote:Total payments accounts represent the cumulative total of all accounts opened, excluding accounts that have been closed or locked and the payment gateway business accounts, and including users who made payments with PayPal but have not registered.
Quote:Confirmed Registered Users -- eBay cumulative

I bet cumulative includes a few stiffs.  :blinkie:  Lol
I have my eye on a few IDs, many of which haven't been active in YEARS.      I keep checking back, but basically, unless the owners start selling and neglect to pay their eBay bill, it looks like they've got a lock on them forever . . . .

Thanks Amy.
Boy the more you read the more they sound like Enron.
If I was an investor I'd be pretty ticked off about all the voodoo
numbers and figures.

I can't believe the SEC lets them get away
with this erroneous reporting time and time again.
Quote:I bet cumulative includes a few stiffs.

Probably, especially if the deceased didn't owe a balance and the survivors didn't know about the account. If they continue using the cumulative number the registered user figure at some point in time will include more dead members than breathing ones.  Smile

Quote:I can't believe the SEC lets them get away
with this erroneous reporting time and time again.

They do report the active user numbers in the fine print in their SEC filings.  Their use of the registered users figure rather than the active user number when marketing to customers is deceptive though since it includes dead people.  Laughing7
If dead people can vote, they can shop.  Dink
[quote author=Powerbuyer link=topic=2232.msg8404#msg8404 date=1138316405]
If dead people can vote, they can shop.   Dink
[/quote]

If the number of dead shoppers is as large as the number of dead voters in recent elections this could be a very lucrative untapped market.  Big Grin
WOW

I need to run on over to my site and put up a "Special Sale"
BUY ONE GET ONE FREE for those no longer with us.
I bet a lot of takers will have "inactive" PP accounts too.

I can ship to "unconfirmed" address too and PP will now fight for
me if the "inactive" PP account holder files a SNAD NAD or INR complaint.

This is GREAT.

Happy001
Special PayPal rules for sales to the departed:

unconfirmed address=cremation and the ashes were scattered at sea
confirmed address=grave burial with receipt proving purchase of burial plot

:twistedevil:
Pages: 1 2 3