TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: eBay's misleading use of registered users figures instead of active users
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
[quote author=iron_chick link=topic=2203.msg7858#msg7858 date=1137523152]
start verifying new users.

I sometimes wonder just how many USERS there actually are on eBay compared to the number of REGISTERED USERS.  

Heck, I have accounts I can't even remember the USERID on.
[/quote]

In its last quarterly report eBay said it had 168 million registered users but only 68 million active users (they define an active user as any ID that has bid, bought, sold, or listed an item in the last 12 months).  The latest Nielsen ratings showed eBay with 56 million unique users (up from 51 million in 2004).

ADMINISTRATOR'S NOTE: Topic renamed and split from original topic: eBay Australia Announces It Will Make It Easier For Scammers to Commit Fraud http://community.tuliptools.com/index.ph...203.0.html
So there are 100 million dead IDs and another 12 million of folks like me with who bid and buy on multiples?  (I'd have to go back and check, but I've bought and sold on 4 or 5 ID in the last year.  I know that's chump change compared to some of y'all. Smile

Yep, there are more dead than alive. 
Anybody broken these stats down by country? 
So eBay claims 3X as many users, if you define a user as a living human being who's stopped by the site in the last year, as there actually are?

Why does that not surprise me.  Tongue2
[quote author=iron_chick link=topic=2203.msg7873#msg7873 date=1137560444]
Anybody broken these stats down by country? 
[/quote]

No, but eBay's international revenues and the number of int'l eBay stores are both getting close to 50%

Quote:eBay Stores — At the end of Q3-05, eBay hosted approximately 336,000 stores worldwide, with approximately 193,000 stores hosted on the U.S. site.

Quote:U.S. Marketplace Net Revenues — U.S. Marketplace net revenues totaled $449.5 million in Q3-05, representing 29% year-over-year growth.
•   International Marketplace Net Revenues — International Marketplace net revenues totaled $408.9 million in Q3-05, representing 43% year-over-year growth.
Less than half of eBay's 168 million REGISTERED users are in the US so the number of active US users is far below the 68 million ACTIVE worldwide users figure.

Quote:With its large and active Community (which includes 79 million users in the United States alone, out of a total of 168 million registered users worldwide)

http://pages.ebay.com/community/chatter/...=CMDV:ICIN

PS-I'm splitting this off into a separate topic Wink
LSOSB.

Quote:  * Confirmed Registered Users -- eBay cumulative confirmed registered users at the end of Q4-05 totaled 180.6 million, representing a 33% increase over the 135.5 million users reported at the end of Q4-04.
    * Active Users -- eBay active users, the number of users on the eBay platform who bid, bought, or listed an item within the previous 12-month period, increased to a record 71.8 million in Q4-05, a 28% increase over the 56.1 million active users reported in the same period a year ago.

registered users during the 4th quarter grew 12 million from the 168 million reported at the end of 3Q while active users  grew just 3.8 million from the 68 million reported at the end of 3Q...sooo.

Inactive users 4Q: 108.8 million (3Q 100 million)
Active users: 4Q 71.8 million (3Q 68 million)

In short,  eBay has significantly more inactive users than active and that number continues to grow. More than 2 times as many people became inactive as became active during the 4th quarter
PayPal membership numbers from PayPal release:  out of the 96.2 million accounts it had in Q4 2005, just 28.1 million were considered active.

68.1 million inactive users
28.1 million active users
Pages: 1 2 3