TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Why now could be the perfect time to jump on the eBay-business bandwagon
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:Starting a business on eBay is a natural progression for most people who come to the site. They tend to start as buyers, get hooked, learn to sell and then find out that, by fulfilling their goal of clearing out their house and selling their belongings on eBay, they are suddenly making money as well...

Here are some success tips for starting a business on eBay

Set up your business legally...
Find sourcing options...
Educate yourself...
Open and optimize an eBay Store...
Develop your online "triangle of success...
Set gold-star customer service policies...

full article: http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/0,46...44,00.html
I wonder how much ebay paid for the plug?

Seems they are in dire need of some new sheep to fleece.
Happy001
Set gold-star customer service policies...

Wouldn't it be great if eBay took that advice? Smile

Hey iron_chick GET TO WORK.
Don't you have some things to send off ?  Wave
LOL!  Yep - my month late book ships off (again) today!  But I ship in the afternoons. ;-)

I'm having a hard time getting out of here too.
Somedays you just want to chill and it's cold and damp outside.
But I'm getting motivated.

It's been really busy for us and the website sales just keep coming.
feebay has dropped off to next to nothing though.
(Which is fine by me)...

Hey I wonder when ebay is going to produce a late night
infomercial to get more "unsuspecting newbies"
to join the ranks of the disillusioned?  Laughing7
Quote:eBay is driving this success by bringing powerful online tools to the marketplace, including Craigslist, PayPal, ProStores, Shopping.com, Skype and VeriSign [eBay only bought Verisign's payment division].

They forgot eBay's other acquisitions: eBay Stores, Half.com and Rent.com.  eBay didn't bring any of these to the marketplace.  It bought well established existing services.
=========

Ahh, article written by Janelle Elms, eBay University instructor.  That explains why it sounds like it was written by eBay's marketing department. Smile

After reading that article I've decided to take out a loan, buy 7000 items, and start an eBay business.  Its easy to do! Smile
I didn't even pull up the article BEFORE COMMENTING
because mandy's quotes were enough
for me to know it was just another spinster's
article showing how wonderful ebay is.

But once you pointed out that Janelle Elms, "an eBay University instructor"
was the author. I had to go look.

YEP MORE SPIN FOR SURE.
Smileykoolaid
Some eBay users can make $40,000 monthly, but there are many more who struggle:

Quote:I started a couple stores at the beginning of this month and sold almost $1000 worth of merchandise in 3 weeks. Guess how much of that I got to keep. Only about $30. Why? Because the Store's FVF's ate up ALL my profits. I'm set to make between $30 and $40 on each item with prices ranging from $90 up to $500. By the time eBay was done with me, I made next to nothing...

...I've since closed both stores and gone back to my original member name to do ONLY auctions and I've pointed google and froogle to my off-eBay website, much like the previous poster has done

http://forums.ebay.com/db2/thread.jspa?t...2000072972&start=0

I'd like to see eBay University teachers be honest and tell their students that starting an online (or 'ebay') business  is no different than starting an offline businessConfusedome new businesses will succeed, but the average new business will fail with the first few years, and there is no such thing as a sure thing.

eBay University teachers are like real world  university teachers.
They are "paid" to teach and as in real universities many areas that
universities offer for courses are already flooded markets.

Many a student finds themselves screwed in the real world
after all the hype that got mom and dad to
PAY for all those courses. Many markets are simply not yielding some of
salaries or opportunities that was feed them when they sign up for collage to begin with.

There are two type in this world:
Those  teaching and those doing.

Who do you think really knows more about any given area of business?

No wonder ebay is such a mess. They have all these strait out of collage supposed
market and technical MBA's that really have NO Clue and as so many I've seen coming from collage. They have seemed to lost all common sense.

Sad but true.