TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Like This? You'll Hate That. (Not All Web Recommendations Are Welcome.)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:On Amazon.com, a customer interested in buying the novel "The Life of Pi" is also shown "The Kite Runner" because other Amazon customers - presumably with similar tastes - also purchased that book. That's just one approach among many in the science of recommendation software.

Web technology capable of compiling vast amounts of customer data now makes it possible for online stores to recommend items tailored to a specific shopper's interests. Companies are finding that getting those personalized recommendations right - or even close - can mean significantly higher sales.

For consumers, a recommendation system can either represent a vaguely annoying invasion of privacy or a big help in bringing order to a sea of choices.

full article: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/23/techno...oref=login
Quote:At NetFlix, the online DVD rental company, for example, roughly two-thirds of the films rented were recommended to subscribers by the site - movies the customers might never have thought to consider otherwise,

Quote:While large online stores are having success through recommendations, smaller Web sites are having a more difficult time using the technology to their advantage. Developing a system for cross-selling is expensive, and requires amassing a huge amount of customer data to be effective,

As a result, according to Ms. Evans, fewer than one-quarter of online shoppers make unplanned purchases when they are online, a far smaller percentage than customers at actual stores.

Movies and music are probably easier to set up cross-sells for than some other products but without a way to incorporate your customer's data and automate the selection process, the choices your customers see will tilt towards the subjective rather than objective.  I know mine do.  :-[

I get some buys from my cross-sells but I know my hand picked choices probably leave a lot to be desired by many of my customers.