TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: FTC: Identity thieves targeting children
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote: Identity thieves are increasingly targeting children. Identity theft complaints involving youngsters under 18 have nearly doubled since 2003, up from 6,512 to more than 11,600 last year, the Federal Trade Commission said Wednesday.

While they make up a small percentage - about 5 percent - of the total ID theft complaints, the FTC's Jay Miller says young people are attractive to cons because they may not be as savvy about safeguarding personal information and could easily fall prey while surfing the Internet.

full article: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/I/I...SITE=CADIU&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT
Interesting.  Never thought that kids would even be targets, would be pointless I figured, at least here in Canada before age 14.  Once they apply for a social insurance # though at that age (assuming the lazy buggers are going to get a job) all bets are off..

All I have to say is, if you want to steal my kids identity, it's a package deal, you gotta take the whole thing.  Laughing7
Quote:Never thought that kids would even be targets, would be pointless I figured, at least here in Canada before age 14.  Once they apply for a social insurance # though at that age

In the US parents can get (and are encouraged to by the government) a social security number for their child at the same time they get a birth certificate.  If an identity thief gets their hands on a social security number they can do anything regardless of the age of the person they stole the number from.

Quote:How do I get my child a Social Security number?

It is a good idea to get the number when your child is born. You can apply for a Social Security number for your baby when you apply for your baby’s birth certificate. The state agency that issues birth certificates will share your child’s information with us. We will mail the Social Security card to you.

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/10002.html#how2