TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: New Policy: Item Location Misrepresentation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Quote:***New Policy: Item Location Misrepresentation*** 

February 03, 2006 | 02:47PM PST/PT

Hi… This is Sarah Brubacher again, Senior Policy Manager for eBay.

Recently we've seen an increase in reports from the Community about false or inaccurate information included in the item location field of the item page. To address this concern, we're implementing a new Item Location Misrepresentation policy which will be effective as of February 3, 2006.

The item location field on the item page is designed to inform buyers about where the item for sale is located. As eBay's global marketplace continues to grow, it's increasingly important for buyers to know where an item is located, so they can estimate the likely shipping costs and delivery times.

What is not allowed
For example, a problem listing might display something contradictory like "Hong Kong, United Kingdom" or "Worldwide, United States" in the item location field. Another type of listing problem would be an item location field that displays "USA" but the item description text says the item is actually shipping from some other country.

What is allowed
An appropriate use of the item location field would be, "Beijing, China" or "Sydney, Australia." Sellers may also continue to use more creative item locations such as "These United States" or "My mother’s attic."

Inaccurate item location representation can lead to higher shipping costs and longer shipping times than buyers expect. These are negative experiences that can ultimately undermine trust in the marketplace.

To learn more about the policy and view examples of what is and isn't permitted, please visit the Item Location Misrepresentation policy page.

Sincerely,

Sarah Brubacher
Senior Policy Manager, eBay Trust and Safety

Quote:Violations of this policy may result in a range of actions including:

*  Listing cancellation
    *  Forfeit of eBay fees on cancelled listings
    *  Listing cancellation
    *  Limits on account privileges
    *  Loss of PowerSeller status
    *  Account suspension
Quote:Sellers may also continue to use more creative item locations such as "These United States" or "My mother’s attic."

Inaccurate item location representation can lead to higher shipping costs and longer shipping times than buyers expect.

"Hong Kong, United Kingdom" is inaccurate and prohibited but "My mother’s attic." is allowed??  How does "My mother’s attic." tell me what to expect??  Happy001
That's ebay logic for ya. Icon_scratch

What trust in the marketplace?

Seems they are aware there is a "trust in the marketplace" problem. Ya think? Happy001

Quote:Seems they are aware there is a "trust in the marketplace" problem. Ya think?

Nope, I think the only thing they're aware of is that another new policy goes into effect this month:  the policy that says eBay will now keep the listing fees when it cancels a listing.

Since this new policy still allows sellers to "continue to use more creative item locations" I don't think it will help buyers "estimate the likely shipping costs and delivery times"

Quote:The item location field on the item page is designed to inform buyers about where the item for sale is located. As eBay's global marketplace continues to grow, it's increasingly important for buyers to know where an item is located, so they can estimate the likely shipping costs and delivery times.

I know exactly what this problem causes.  I live in Canada and a fellow Canadian seller had an auction that says they live in Canada and it showed that the item location was also in Canada.  That is THE reason why I bid on that seller's auction in this particular case over a seller in the USA - because this was an item costing around $150 and I did not want to have to pay for the item and shipping plus also the customs fees and taxes (which happen on items over $20 Canadian which is about $17.50 US - not much at all)

Well imagine my surprise to that one day in the mail I get a card from the post office saying I have a parcel to pick up and I owe a large amount of money for customs fees and taxes.  But why? The seller is in Canada and listed the item as in Canada so I should not be paying customs fees.  Well, as it turned out the seller is a drop shipper and was actually coming from the USA and there was no mention of this anywhere in the auction.  Was I impressed? No, because had I known that item was coming from the USA I would not have bid on it.  I thought I was safe.  What did I do?  I refused the parcel and it was returned to the seller.  Obviously they were not happy with me but since I didn't leave them feedback yet and they already left me a postive when I paid, they were careful on how they handled me and when I explained what happened and what shouldn't have happened they gave me a full refund in hopes of not receiving a negative from me (they even came out and said that).  I never gave them any feedback which meant they were on not sure if I would some day several weeks down the road give them a negative - I never did but I sure don't buy from that seller.
Well I still think they are aware there is a
"trust in the marketplace" problem all the way at the top.

I also think that there is a growing concern amongst stock holders
in the REPORTING of the marketplace numbers as well.

That is why I think they keep making the moves they make.
In an effort to make it APPEAR as if they are trying to improve the overall
outlook on the business model.

(Albeit the moves may actually be designed to fail ultimately).

Let me try and rephrase this a bit:

I think that the STAFF do know that the site is viewed as a
scammers haven or a flea market with shady deals and unethical
sellers / buyers and policies in place as well.

With that said:
The STAFF and department heads
continue to try and "work things" / projects
in an effort to improve the sites overall perception
to ensure their own longevity in their ebay careers.

I think that Meg and a few key upper management folks may
pretend they don't see anything as a problem but may
in fact be quite aware of the real situation and where it is heading.

I also think to them personally it really don't matter.
They have made their millions and actually may want the hell out
of this mess before they personally get burnt and end up like Enron executives.

I long for the day of some serious probes and investigations into the accounting practices, polices and overall ethics of ebay and the principals in charge of
overseeing and administering these areas of the business.

Of course that day will only come when the stock
tanks or a REAL external audit has been launched.

That day may be sooner then we thing and I believe that day is well overdue.

Sorry if I went off topic.
"Hong Kong, United Kingdom" is inaccurate and prohibited but "My mother’s attic." is allowed??  How does "My mother’s attic." tell me what to expect?? 

;D ;D ;D
Hey.. Keep "My mother’s" out of IT.

What a mess.
Maybe I should go into my "local settings" and put:

My socks are good. Or FUK ebay.

Happy001
PS:
OR "Buy Direct and SAVE".
Quote:I think that the STAFF do know that the site is viewed as a
scammers haven or a flea market with shady deals and unethical
sellers / buyers and policies in place as well.

They'd have to be blind not to know, but they are powerless to make any real changes because the Bill Cobbs, Pierre Omidyars, and Meg Whitmans of the world don't want any changes that could negatively impact eBay's bottom line in the short term...and the Megs, Pierres, and Bills of the world are too blind to see that not making dramatic changes will have a huge negative effect on eBay's long term potential.

p.s. Is "my mother's web site" acceptable under this new policy?  :twistedevil:
Pages: 1 2 3