TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Amazon quietly cashes in on sex toy market
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Article in the Financial Times

Quote:Amazon is offering more than 40,000 products, including over 9,000 vibrators and more than 5,500 "sex-enhancers".
I stumbled upon a sex toy being sold a few months ago.  I wish I could remember what I was actually searching for!  I was just a tad surprised. 

I know I left myself WIDE open for comments/jokes... go ahead BBH.  Smile
Quote:I stumbled upon a sex toy

Dazed008
[quote author=amy link=topic=281.msg1146#msg1146 date=1125562196]
Quote:I stumbled upon a sex toy

Dazed008
[/quote]

Since you were able to refrain... I will add:
I wish Amazon wouldn't go in that direction.  I think it will hurt their reputation.

I will add the sex toy was something to do with inserting it in a person's rear end.  No thanks!  Yes, I have no problems stating... in public ... nothing will be inserted into my rear end that is not medically needed.  Maybe not even then.  Wink
[quote author=Anita link=topic=281.msg1149#msg1149 date=1125581106]

Since you were able to refrain... I will add:
I wish Amazon wouldn't go in that direction.  I think it will hurt their reputation.

[/quote]

Amy was able to refrain.  I however will limit my rude comment to a smilie:  Ky

I wish Amazon wouldn't go in that direction too because we've always made a nice chunk of change from the Amazon affiliate program since we joined it 7 years ago and  the store on our AllMusicSearch site uses Amazon's API and so we now have this stuff on our site too.

As far as damaging Amazon's reputation, I don't think it will.  An anti-trust suit was filed against eBay 2 years ago (which eBay settled out of court) by Rick's Cabaret (the #2 online Adult marketplace) because eBay's share of online Adult products was over 70%, and I don't think eBay's large market share in online adult product sales has hurt its reputation one bit because I doubt if most eBay users are even aware of how many adult products are sold through eBay.  As long as Amazon keeps it "hidden" and out of the busiest areas of the site like eBay has, I think most people will be completely unaware that the products are being sold on the site.
I remember what it was!  A butt plug was what showed up.  I know I was NOT searching for butt plugs.

Anyway, maybe it was a freak thing.  If Amazon does keep an area for adult stuff... then I'm all for it.  To each their own.  I just didn't want to see their site "trashed."   

Gawd, I'm slow.  I thought the smiley in a tube was TOOTHPASTE!  Now, that I "get it" ... HA HA HA!