TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Michigan, New Jersey, and 11 Other States Pushing For Internet Tax Starting 10/1
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:13 states push effort to collect Internet tax

Michigan is among group that will urge Web businesses to slap levy on online purchases.

http://www.detnews.com/2005/business/050...299790.htm

The following states will be "encouraging" Internet businesses to tax all online purchases starting October 1st:

Michigan
Minnesota
Iowa
Kansas
Nebraska
Oklahoma
North Dakota
South Dakota
North Carolina
Indiana
Kentucky
West Virginia
New Jersey
Angryfire Angryfire Angryfire
That is why Ohio is constantly changing their sales tax laws.  They can't even get it straightened out to force people to collect different rates by county, I don't know how they think its going to happen to collect for other states.
Quote:I don't know how they think its going to happen to collect for other states

Amazon would be able to do it, but there's no way the average online store could do it.  Angryfire  I wonder how many sellers in those states will actually charge the "volunary" tax since Amazon has already said it won't.

I think a national Internet sales tax is almost a given though...I'm just surprised that 10 years after ecommerce started to take off there isn't a national tax yet.
Arkansas, Ohio, Tennessee, Utah and Wyoming plan to join the other 13 states in imposing the "voluntary" tax at a latter date.