TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Thai Platinum Power Seller Gem Dealer Offers Tips on Ebay Selling
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:More Thais are looking to use eBay to tap the global market, thank to increased publicity about the benefits of the electronic market-place that helps users to reach customers worldwide with just a few clicks.

Among successful sellers is a Chanthaburi-based company called gemandgem.com, which has earned the Titanium Powerseller title on eBay. It makes more than Bt100 million annually with two dozen employees, and no shop.

To qualify as a Titanium Powerseller, the seller has to make at least US$150,000 [Bt5.9 million] a month...

full article: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006/02/...001600.php
I wonder if gemandgem is a new name for another gemstone company that used to sell on ebay. They were also out of Chanthaburi, which is way out of the way from everywhere. I believe their name was thaigems. They moved to Bangkok. I visited them hoping to do business. I left with nothing because they were overpriced and nothing was marked. I hate doing business with places that size you up before giving you a price, and where you have to ask the price on each and every item. I'll bet gemandgem is either part of the same family or an ex-employee.

Bt100 million is about $2.5 million U.S. I bet there's one hell of a profit in that, seeing as their gems are overpriced to begin with and their workers make only a couple of hundred dollars a month at most. Families can survive there on that much, and are happy to have the jobs, of course. My point is that someone there is making a ton of money.

I believe that eventually ebay will have more foreign sellers than American sellers. Anyway, I'm heading back to Thailand on Monday but I stay away from gemstones. It's just too easy to get taken advantage of, and it's too highly competitive for me. ~Bob
After re-reading the article, she's giving far too much information away to her competitors. Not too smart.
Have a good time, Bob!  Stay in touch....
stardust Wrote:Have a good time, Bob!

ditto

landofsmiles Wrote:I'll bet gemandgem is either part of the same family or an ex-employee.

They started gemadgem after one of them was fired by thaigem.com

landofsmiles Wrote:I believe that eventually ebay will have more foreign sellers than American sellers.

Definitely.  The number of international registered users is now greater than the number of US users.

some good advice:
Quote:people who wanted to sell on eBay should consider building brands and logos to get customers to remember their products.
Quote:Some may wonder how we can sell gems on line. It's because of the photos and descriptions. Don't be afraid customers won't read it. Provide all the information, as it could boost the price," she said.

Quick, someone rush this quote to the cheerleaders.   Lol  Success rates on eBay are about the same as they are for any small business startup:
Quote:No less than 10 new sellers appear every day on eBay to compete with gemandgem. Many quit, but some manage to survive.

Edited to add:  For further proof that eBay businesses are no different than other small businesses as far as success rates (i.e. the average small business doesn't survive past its 3rd year), go to the 'introduce yourself' thread on the eBay Stores board and click on the store icons and user IDs on the first few pages of that thread...many of the sellers who posted 2 years ago on that thread are either NARU'd or have closed their stores.