TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Eyeballs, eyeballs, eyeballs...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I didn't bother to look at the name before copying and pasting, and does it really matter anyway??? Wrote:I do not rely on that [store listings in eBay core search results] to get people in my store. I rely on my own auctions, and lure people into my store through my own listings.

I'll refrain from commenting this month on  people saying,  "I sell on eBay because it has the eyeballs" in one breath and then in the next breath saying "I have to run auctions otherwise my store doesn't get any traffic" .

I just refrained from commenting and I feel better. Smile

I'll refrain from commenting this month on people on the eBay boards saying  "If you open a web site you have to buy AdWords if you want visitors and it'll cost you more than an eBay store."

I just refrained from commenting and I feel better. Smile

I haven't commented this month yet on all of the asinine logic or wrong information that is given on eBay's "help" boards, but since I've made it my goal to be a nicer person this month, I will refrain from commenting on all of the asinine logic and wrong information that is given on eBay boards.

I just refrained from commenting and I feel much better Smile

Despite eBay "having the eyeballs" and the fact that we have never bought AdWords for our BBH.com diecast store (or done any other paid advertising for the site) , on the average day it gets over 5X more traffic than our eBay (diecast & postcard) Store...and if you add in the BBHC.com postcard store which isn't even close to being fully stocked yet, the 2 stores are getting 7X more traffic than the eBay Store  Go figure...
You did a very good job  not commenting on any of that stuff.  Big Grin
Quote:I'll refrain from commenting this month on people on the eBay boards saying  "If you open a web site you have to buy AdWords if you want visitors and it'll cost you more than an eBay store."

I do buy AdWords and I do other paid advertising too but my combined advertising and hosting is less than my eBay fees used to be when I sold there.
maggie777 Wrote:I do buy AdWords and I do other paid advertising too but my combined advertising and hosting is less than my eBay fees used to be when I sold there.

Same here and i'll add that sales are much higher on my site  Wink

Angel  Angel7
Sales are strong for us on the ol website too. Laughing7
No adwords.

I've been looking at a few happy happy Stores threads.
Are any of you store owners here getting better
sales and traffic as a handful over there are claiming
as a result of the new categories thing?
Quote:Are any of you store owners here getting better
sales and traffic as a handful over there are claiming
as a result of the new categories thing?

The additional store categories just rolled out last night so I don't see how anyone could say yet whether it's helping or hurting.

Store items in the main search didn't help our store sales or traffic because our categories are glutted with below cost auction items.  Most searchers never see the store items on page 5,000  Smile of the search results in our categories.
Actually that was what I was referring to.
Just so many changes all the time it is so easy to get them confused.  Icon_scratch

But you answered my question.

So I guess I can safely say it is a "handful" who are "claiming"
things are better.

And it may well be the same handful who are always posting
that all is so wonderful all the time.  Lol

If it is true for more than just the "handful" that are posting such remarkable
results as a result of the stores items being placed in the main search,

than I gotta wonder why the bay felt the need to run
a second 10 cent fixed gimmick this week. 

I suspect that many did NOT have such remarkable
results as reported by a handful because as you pointed out...
So many categories are glutted with below cost auction items anyway
so Stores stuff is on page 5000.

Especially when they run the specials like I just mentioned. 

Quote:than I gotta wonder why the bay felt the need to run
a second 10 cent fixed gimmick this week. 

It's the end of the quarter.  They always run lots of specials at the quarter's end to beef up their numbers. I expect more next week.
Quote:Especially when they run the specials like I just mentioned. 

I always hated eBay sales because our sell through rate would plummet for a week, kind of like what happened --HIJACK  :twistedevil: -- on Yahoo when they went totally free last year.  When Yahoo was charging fees we could always count on it for a few hundred sales a year.  Since they dropped fees the number of items in our main category has jumped from 1600 (500 of which were ours) to almost 11,000.  The number of buyers hasn't jumped 600% so sales now suck on Yahoo in our category.  Free or lower fees aren't always better on auction sites if it causes a jump in listings without a corresponding jump in buyers.

Quote:It's the end of the quarter.

They've been running almost weekly sales in Canada the entire quarter.  It's too bad they don't break their quarterly results down by country.  I'd realllly like to see their Canadian figures for this quarter.

Quote:Store items in the main search

It's probably about 50/50 as far as sellers who were helped/sellers who weren't.  It's entirely dependent on the categories and items you sell.
Quote:Quote
Store items in the main search

It's probably about 50/50 as far as sellers who were helped/sellers who weren't.  It's entirely dependent on the categories and items you sell.

That's right.  Folks have always entered my *stores* thru keyword search, with the few stores items added to the bottom of the search results and they're clicking on those.  Since all stores items are now displayed, I'm seeing a large number of peeps in my new store with running no auctions.  (large to me for as few items as I have up)    I'm now starting to run a few auctions to see what happens.  Probably no difference and a waste of $ -- specially considering the latest 10cent sale.
Pages: 1 2