TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: eBay said to be weighing deals with Microsoft, Yahoo
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Quote:The prospect of a "super-union" between two or more of the internet's most powerful companies was raised today as news emerged that eBay has held talks with Yahoo! and Microsoft over a possible partnership designed to thwart the advance of arch-rival Google.

According to the Wall Street Journal, eBay's parallel sets of discussions with Yahoo! and Microsoft began in earnest late last year and were spurred by Google entering into eBay's market with the launch of an online classified advertising site.

The four companies already compete and co-operate on a number of fronts. But there is a growing feeling within the industry that Google is becoming more aggresive...

full article: http://business.timesonline.co.uk/articl...81,00.html

Quote:eBay has had talks with both Yahoo and Microsoft to determine whether one of them might be a suitable ally against common threats from Google, The Wall Street Journal said Friday...

Under one scenario, the talks could lead to an alliance in which eBay would boost its advertising spending with its chosen partner and provide access to data it has collected about its consumers, the Journal said...

full article: http://news.com.com/eBays+Google+guard+Y...63575.html

Original WSJ article (subscription required):
http://users1.wsj.com/lmda/do/checkLogin?mg=wsj-users1&url=http%3A%2F%2Fonline.wsj.com%2Farticle%2FSB114558083975931981.html
After longtime partner Google began encroaching on its turf, the online auction firm began discussing new partnerships, paper reports.

http://money.cnn.com/2006/04/21/technology/ebay_google/
I merged two topics.  ;D

I wonder what would happen to Yahoo Auctions or Microsoft Live Expo if an alliance was formed with eBay?

No telling.
I know this. NOW is the time for Google to make it's BIG move.
ebay and pp still have the largest amount of members
but I just know that a majority NOT an minority are so ready to jump ship.

The way the Internet is Google could be the top dogs by the next quarter.

I think Google would gain a huge amount of market share in no time flat
and there is no doubt that the already widely known Google name brand
could penetrate deeply in the online aggregated market and payment service arena.

The people are screaming for a viable competitor and Google is it.

Perhaps Google has been waiting for some sign from ebay to
shoot a warning shot back at Google over what ebay feels is their turf.

GOOGLE BETTER MAKE THAT MOVE and quit hesitating.

YOU HAVE THE PEOPLE BEHIND YOU.
THEY WANT CHANGE AND ARE WILLING TO PAY YOU FOR IT.

I truly feel there would be a mass exodus away from ebay and PayPal.
I really do.

On the other hand if Google decides NOT to decide.
An alliance between Yahoo, Microsoft and
ebay could even snuff Google out in short order.

eBay is a ruthless, back stabbing controlling, monopolizing, and borderline criminal monster.

So get off your ass Google and just do it already.

You WILL come out the victor.

Google is having its share of major problems with clickfraud lawsuits and wrongful permanent suspension of innocent sellers with no communication (sound familiar?), and apparently Googlebase is fairly unstable and glitchy.  Any kind of *major share* ain't gonna happen if they are as glitchy -- or glitchier -- than ebay.

I haven't heard anything good about the googlebase yet, so until I do, not interested.  Wishful thinking on our parts, but perhaps it's just too big a bite for even Google to chew properly.
Well after I posted I thought about it and realized the only reason
I even posted was because I have this sick hatred for ebay,
what they have become and how they have fleeced their customers
of the last few years and lined their pockets in doing so.

I won't go into the other reasons other than to say
their continued attempts to completely dominate the world with their
monopolistic policies and anti competative actions
just makes me want to see them fall hard.

I'd love to see the principals up on charges like Enron's executives
and I would also like to see my fellow man (woman) have a fair shake at
trying to make a living from home in an environment where the
top dogs are not always just trying to take it all.

In my mind there is enough room to go around for everybody and while I realize it is
something that would never happen in this world. It still would be refreshing to see
a company actually do what is right and not what just makes the top investors or the
top management rich.

I also realize that even if Google could pull it off.
It would just be a few short years and everybody would all be whining about them too.

But I would do a happy dance if it was to happen. Just because.
Quote:I haven't heard anything good about the googlebase yet, so until I do, not interested.

Most of the complaints I've seen are on the eBay Stores board from ijids who are trying to redirect traffic from Google Base to their eBay Stores because they have a burning desire to pay eBay an 8% fee instead of paying no fee by having buyers either contact them through Base or buy directly from them on Base...I've been discounting those complaints because a lot of the problems they're encountering are because of roadblocks Google is (for obvious reasons) throwing their way to discourage eBayers from redirecting to eBay.

I think it's still waay to early to either cheer or boo Base because all the pieces aren't in place yet.

On the negative side they need to add a category structure beyond their tagging system because it isn't intuitive for the average non-geek and Base isn't going to go anywhere until they make it easier to find products.

On the positive side:
for buyers-buying and checking out/paying is much easier on Base with GPay than it is on eBay/PayPal
for sellers (Base)-the obvious, no fees vs. 8% for eBay Stores
for sellers (Google Payments)-2.5% +$0.25 vs. PayPal's 2.9% + $0.30

The 2 things to watch on Base that will give a clearer picture of whether Google can pull it off:

Automat- their "rumored" planned feature that will allow AdWords users to place products directly on AdWords for purchase (possibly with a GPay button in the ad)...if they can pull that off it would be an eBay killer

Europe-Google's first attempt at using Base products to reach a mass market is going to be in Europe where they are planning a "marketplace" to challenge Amazon.
I forgot the biggest negative...the one that has made me think "I'll believe it when I see it" when anyone mentions Google toppling anyone in the ecommerce "venue" space.

negative:
FROOGLE SUCKS AND IS AN ALSO-RAN AMONG SHOPPING COMPARISON SITES
Despite Google being the 3rd busiest site on the Internet, they have never been able to make Froogle a real contender in the comparison shopping space.

People look at Google's top position in search and automatically think a Google "venue" is the answer to their prayers, but they're forgeting that many of Google's attempts at diversifying beyond search have been mediocre at best...and they're forgetting that the even bigger Yahoo has already tried and failed at both Auctions and Classifieds.

Yahoo is the busiest site on the Internet by far and yet its attempts at Auctions and Classifieds have never been able to attract a mass audience, so having traffic and a top position in one Internet category (in Yahoo's case it's the top Internet destination and serves as a home base for many of its 402 million users) doesn't necessarily mean you can translate that success into another market.

------------
SHORT VERSION: I'd like to see Google create a viable contender to eBay but I have noooo idea if they'll be able to pull it off.

Quote:Most of the complaints I've seen are on the eBay Stores board from ijids who are trying to redirect traffic from Google Base to their eBay Stores because they have a burning desire to pay eBay an 8% fee instead of paying no fee by having buyers either contact them through Base or buy directly from them on Base...I've been discounting those complaints because a lot of the problems they're encountering are because of roadblocks Google is (for obvious reasons) throwing their way to discourage eBayers from redirecting to eBay.

I wasn't going to go there but you just said EXACTLY  what I've been thinking all along and every time I look at the Stores boards and see them all talking about it.

I haven't been invited to do the Base with GPay yet unless I threw out the invite in
my e mails by mistake. I would love to try GPay. (Not that I need it but I just want to have access and options to anything that makes it easy
for buyers to buy DIRECT from us).

Quote:many of Google's attempts at diversifying beyond search have been mediocre at best...and they're forgetting that the even bigger Yahoo has already tried and failed at both Auctions and Classifieds.

Excellent point BBH.
On a side note when I go look at PP's boards and see the
"anti's" (as they call them) saying how Gbase or Gbuy will kick PP's ass.
I just shake my head because I also just don't see it yet.

Probably one of the main reasons LieWorld allows those rants to stay.
IMO They look ridiculous and make those who want change that are posting
with passion instead of common sense look as crazy as the PPbay evangelists.

MY SHORT VERSION: (Is kind of like yours) 

I'd like to see Google or anyone, create a viable contender
to eBay but I also have now idea if anyone would be able to pull it off
or even sure if I would want them to other than the reason I already stated.

To bring ebay and PP down.  Laughing7

Now aren't we glad we have websites
and are NOT "waiting" for some Internet "savior"
to come along and save us all from ourselves? 
SHORT VERSION: I'd like to see Google create a viable contender to eBay but I have noooo idea if they'll be able to pull it off.

Exactomundo !!
Pages: 1 2 3