TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: eBay and Yahoo Form Partnership to Add Yahoo Banner Advertising to eBay Pages
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Quote:Google, Microsoft and Yahoo are all vying for the right to post their keyword advertising in front of Ebay’s millions of online users, signalling a scramble between the search engine providers for access to one of the internet’s biggest untapped audiences.

Ebay is understood to have held talks with all three companies about ways to co-operate more closely, including carrying targeted messages supplied by one of the companies’ online advertising networks. The online auction company refused to comment on the talks...

Quote:“One of the very unleveraged assets of Ebay is all the traffic that goes unmonetised on their sites,” said Youssef Squali, an analyst at Jeffries & Co in New York. “They are one of the largest destinations on the internet, and their sites are very ‘sticky’ – that is the type of platform advertisers would kill for.”

full article: http://news.ft.com/cms/s/98421d40-d188-1...e2340.html

related topic:
eBay said to be weighing deals with Microsoft, Yahoo
http://community.tuliptools.com/index.ph...468.0.html
Yep, none of those people that go to eBay ever Buy anything.

Unmonetised traffic??? Are they going to have adwords in search? 10 cents a click for a customer to leave eBay?  Or put adwords in MY listings?

Unmonetised traffic??? All that eBay is is advertising. It cannot possibly be more efficient to ship their customers elsewhere.

OH, Yeah, ..... Listing Fees.  Who cares if they sell, in fact if things don't sell then maybe they will re-list them.

Just more carp to slow down the page loading, among other things.  And, yes, it's been discussed on the Stores Board that these ads would be targeted by keyword on individual listings.  Ergo, MSN and Yahoo and Google would be placing ads in YOUR listings for any items from Nepal.  How do you like them apples?  Puke
2/8/2000 Wrote:In an open letter to customers yesterday, eBay said it would begin enforcing its long-standing policy that prohibits the use of banner ads in areas reserved for auctions.

The letter, which appeared in eBay's "community" area, told users that because eBay had refrained from littering the site with ads, it "expects the same" from users.

http://news.com.com/eBay+discourages+ban...36648.html

eBay woudn'l break their long standing promise not to put ads on pages would they?--Dumb question, of course they would.  :Smile

Quote:eBay said it will continue to allow sellers to link to companies such as credit card firms that help in the sale of products. It will also continue to allow users to provide links to their personal Web pages.

I had to clean coffee off my monitor for that last statement. 

Maroons.  >Sad  Big Grin

Which :asshat2: team came up with this bright idea?
I don't mind ads on the listing pages at Yahoo because I'm not paying a listing fee or FVF, but eBay can :nbiteme: if they think I'll be willing to pay them a fee to have my listing shown on a page with AdWords on it. Smile

I don't think eBay will stick them on listing pages (yet).  I think any ads will be confined to the category and search pages for now.
They are already inserting 5 listings (ads) for other sellers directly on all listings that have ended...and elsewhere like winning bidder emails... unless the seller has been wise enough to opt out.  It's my belief they're testing the premise and keeping track of buyers clicking on the *ads* to view 'similar items'...  It's coming, you just wait!  Bets anyone?

LSOSB  >Sad
accentnepal Wrote:OH, Yeah, ..... Listing Fees.  Who cares if they sell, in fact if things don't sell then maybe they will re-list them.

Relisting  is a moneymaker for them.

Quote:They are already inserting 5 listings (ads) for other sellers directly on all listings that have ended...and elsewhere like winning bidder emails... unless the seller has been wise enough to opt out.

If they stuck AdWords on completed (or open) item pages there wouldn't be an opt-out.  >Sad
Pages: 1 2 3 4