TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Yahoo Jack Talks About Chinese Auctions and Search Engines
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:He has set his sights on beating Google and eBay, but China's best-known technopreneur Jack Ma still delights in telling people he does not know much about technology.

Or the Internet, for that matter.

'I use my computer for two things -- e-mail and surfing the Web,' Mr Ma, founder and chief executive of Alibaba.com, China's largest e-commerce company, says in an e-mail interview with The Straits Times.

This, he argues, has been the strength, not weakness, of his online conglomerate.

Alibaba and Internet outfits under its portfolio now run services ranging from electronic payments, online searches and auctions, to the country's biggest business-to-business website, which connects international buyers with suppliers, largely those in China...

full article: http://www.asiamedia.ucla.edu/article.as...ntid=44426
I still say:

What are the US companies going to do when China and US relations
go south. I've spoken of this before over the Taiwan issue.

Now take a look at the Iranian issue as well.

Things may very well start to heat up very soon between the US and
Communist government over a vast array of issues.

Yahoo Jack may not only be in a better position than the US companies financially
but the Chinese government may very well seize the physical assets in country and take over any infrastructure the folks like ebay and others have put in place there.

I also think that the US government will NOT be able to or be
willing to do anything about it.

This may also be what many investors of ebay stock are thinking too.

OT a bit, but think about what happens to all those slave run factories
Wal-Mart and others has invested billions in over there.
(If relations go south over the many issues)...
I still say:

What are the US companies going to do when China and US relations
go south. 

Lose everything they invested like they did in Cuba.

Me thinks so too Kristijntje.
No wonder the ebay's stock is NOT fetching BIG $$ these days.
Quote:take over any infrastructure the folks like ebay and others have put in place there.

A lot of the infrastructure (at least many of the servers) for many of the  US Internet companies is actually in the US or Japan.  MSN/Microsoft even does its censoring of Chinese citizens for the Chinese government from servers that are physically located in the US.  eBay China's servers all seem to be in California and Japan too.

China could take over the China offices of US companies like eBay though, block all traffic coming from their US servers, and setup their own ebay (or MSN, etc.) service on their own servers.

eBay.com.cn server:
Quote: IP:                66.135.192.23
City:              Campbell, California
www.ebay.cn server:
Quote:IP:                202.232.140.20
City:              Unknown
www.ebay.com.cn
Quote:IP:                208.187.212.217
City:              Hemet, California

EDIT to add:  If things keep going the way they are for eBay in China, I wouldn't be surprised to see Meg begging the Chinese government to pleeeze pleeeze nationalize the Internet industry so she could at least save face and say that eBay's failure in China wasn't her fault.  :twistedevil:

In an interview with the San Francisco Chronicle today, Alibaba's Jack Ma hinted that Alibaba might decide to enter the US consumer auction market at some point in the future:

Quote:Q: Do you have any aspirations of bringing consumer auctions to the United States?

A: You mean compete with eBay, here? Yeah, I think eBay is a monopoly. If we do come, eBay will probably have a lot of problems. We can move very fast.

full article: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...IJ8221.DTL
[quote author=Kristijntje link=topic=3571.msg13634#msg13634 date=1147012049]
In an interview with the San Francisco Chronicle today, Alibaba's Jack Ma hinted that Alibaba might decide to enter the US consumer auction market at some point in the future:

Quote:Q: Do you have any aspirations of bringing consumer auctions to the United States?

A: You mean compete with eBay, here? Yeah, I think eBay is a monopoly. If we do come, eBay will probably have a lot of problems. We can move very fast.

full article: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...IJ8221.DTL
[/quote]

eBay already has a lot of problems in the US.  Tongue

Cultural differences hurt eBay badly when it entered the Chinese market, but I don't think Alibaba would have those same problems if it entered the US consumer auction market because its Alibaba B2B auction site managed to avoid them when it entered the US and is now the top B2B auction site in the US.
Alibaba's Jack Ma speaks at Yahoo Analyst Day:

Quote:Jack Ma , founder, chairman and CEO of the Chinese Web site Alibaba.com, took the stage yesterday at Yahoo's analyst day and boldly proclaimed that his company will take on all comers in the Chinese marketplace...
Quote:Alibaba recently launched AliPay, the PayPal equivalent in China.

Alibaba CFO Joe Tsai considers AliPay a key driver of the company's success and e-commerce in China.

"Our own estimate is that the online payment market in China was worth $700 million last year, and AliPay was really the main driver," Tsai said. "We occupy over 40 percent of that market."...

full article: http://www.internetnews.com/ec-news/article.php/3607221