TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Volunteers needed - a poll :)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm splitting off the books and need a new name/new domain name.
The problem being that dirty rotten scoundrels have taken and parked just about anything one could think of with the word "book" in it.
But I have a list of finalists.
If you are willing to help, ping me and I'll send you the list so you can vote. 
(I'd post it here, but dirty rotten scoundrels have taken and parked just about anything one could think of with the word "book" in it and I'd like these to remain available until I decide. Smile

Thank you much!

Beth

ironchick at ironchickstreasures.com 

Thanks for the response so far.

No male type folks have stepped forward, though . . . and I'd really like your perspective, too. Smile

Beth
www.uponabook.com

upon a book, I shall have good fortune  Merchant of Venice: II, ii
I like the name.  Thumbsup
[quote author=iron_chick link=topic=3602.msg13574#msg13574 date=1146873293]
www.uponabook.com

[/quote]

That was fast.  Smile
Heh . . . I LOVE the name. 

Even though SOMEBODY didn't like it, I love it enough to not care. Wink

After trying out, multiple times, every cart known to man, paid and free, I'm back at cube, which is the only one I've ever had a warm fuzzy about.  I'll gladly pay to remove all their copyright crap.  Cube makes me feel smart, unlike zen and osC, which make me feel dumb.  Dumb.  Dumb.

I'd considered (multiple times :-)) a chrislands site for the books, because it's integrated with AOB and that's very nice.  But, I don't much care for the way their sites look (all the same) and I want more flexibility.  And, I want more control.  I like the idea of having my store on my server, not someone elses.  It's going to cost about the same to get set up as it would have on chrislands, and I'll have to do my own updates, but there is an import module (easy populate clone) that will make that easier.  (Rodger has also shown a willingness to look into making custom venue loads that will work with my database.  Smile )

Quote:a chrislands site

Chrisland's $199 setup fees seem a little high for what you get.  :blinkie:
Yeah.  I like my free template better than any of the chrislands sites I've seen. 
[quote author=iron_chick link=topic=3602.msg13607#msg13607 date=1146933944]
Heh . . . I LOVE the name. 

Even though SOMEBODY didn't like it, I love it enough to not care. Wink

After trying out, multiple times, every cart known to man, paid and free, I'm back at cube, which is the only one I've ever had a warm fuzzy about.  I'll gladly pay to remove all their copyright crap.   Cube makes me feel smart, unlike zen and osC, which make me feel dumb.  Dumb.  Dumb.

I'd considered (multiple times :-)) a chrislands site for the books, because it's integrated with AOB and that's very nice.   But, I don't much care for the way their sites look (all the same) and I want more flexibility.   And, I want more control.   I like the idea of having my store on my server, not someone elses.   It's going to cost about the same to get set up as it would have on chrislands, and I'll have to do my own updates, but there is an import module (easy populate clone) that will make that easier.   (Rodger has also shown a willingness to look into making custom venue loads that will work with my database.  Smile )

[/quote]

Sorry for digging up this buried post, but I found in while searching for alternatives to Chris Lands.  I've been going down the same path as iron chick... I've tried and tried different ecommerce packs, and none of them do what I want for a bookstore.  The Chris Lands ones fit my needs (I'm selling books) but I also didn't like the clone website look nor did I like the limited options.  I have my own server and prefer to host my own site.

Zen and OSC are tricky, but I was able to scratch out a template.  But they are limited in selling specific items, such as used books, as they are designed for the more generic products.

I too keep finding myself going back to CubeCart, but I am not too keen on spending another $100+ on something that I end up erasing.

Has anyone found something else that's worth playing with?

Thanks
Quote:Zen and OSC are tricky, but I was able to scratch out a template.  But they are limited in selling specific items, such as used books, as they are designed for the more generic products.

There is a book product type mod for ZenCart.

http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35389

Quote:"Product Type Book" add support for books with a new product type (just like the core music product type, but with much more features)
A thread has been started in the previous forum, now in read-only. You can check it for records here.

FEATURES

1. Easy installation without touching a single core file (thanks to ZC Override System);
  2. Multi language friendly;
  3. Search books and authors with the standard search sidebox (and genre and/or types);
  4. Shows authors names and ISBN on product listing;
  5. Book attributes:
          * Author (can have more than one author by book)
          * Genre ("Fantastic", "SciFi", "Shonen", "Hentai", etc.) (many genres ok)
          * Type ("Artbook", "Novel", "Manga", "Postcards", etc.) (many types ok)
          * Color ("B&W", "Color", etc?)
          * Language (many languages ok) (use another small contribution "Products Languages")
          * Condition ("Brand new", "USED (good)", "USED (bad)", etc.)
          * Pages ("123")
          * Publication date ("2004", "31-12-1999", etc.)
          * 2 customs text fields
          * 2 customs boolean fields
          * Publisher and ISBN are reusing Manufacturers and Model core fields