TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Re: Overheated Debate Sparks Change in Leadership at eBay Voices Led Group
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Quote:There's a *cross-fire* type politics and religion thread on the group board that apparently got a bit too overheated and caused a domino effect in reactions

The overheating came after pumpkinsandharvestmoons made some very ignorant racist bigoted comments about a certain religious group. 

A Voices member (not one of the leader/moderators) complained at SRG about the negative "eBay hating attitude" on the eBay Stores board and yet praised the "positive" environment of the SRG while saying nothing about the very negative comments made by the one member.  I'm having trouble seeing how a group where a member makes racist comments that bash an entire religion is a more positive environment than a place like the eBay Stores board where negative comments are made about a corporation.  If that's a "positive environment" then the world is definitely  one boinked up place full of boinked  up individuals. [To her credit, before leaving the group, Horton did sharply and loudly object to the bigoted comments made by pumpkinsandharvestmoons]

Also creating problems at the eBay Voices led Sellers Resource Group is that the 3 (now 2) Voices members (founder, moderators) who lead the group have apparently been using LiveWorld as role models.  Complaints of thread deleting/censorship/locking from a few members.

Well, I just accidentally deleted a whole dissertation here, and I'm not going to try to repeat it.  Just a small bit in its place:

Quote:The overheating came after pumpkinsandharvestmoons made some very ignorant racist bigoted comments about a certain religious group.

I was not a part of, nor privy to, everything that was discussed in the supposed-offending thread. I was not going to elaborate, but I say NO! I only saw the snippet that Marty provided in yesterday's thread that apparently had upset everyone (which I cannot find again and which has been deleted, I guess).  I did not find it racist nor bigoted, and personally wondered what all the fuss was about.  Her statement was about THREE religions and what she knew about their different beliefs with regard to Jesus the Prophet, and the different names the three religions called their respective 'God' -- Father, Yahweh and Allah.  There is nothing ignorant nor racist about stating/comparing some basic differences between three religions.

Political correctness has gone way too far in this country.  Simple or spirited discussions and that just point out the differences in religions or political parties can label you as ignorant or a racist or bigot.  Heaven help you if you mention that today's world terrorists are extremists who belong to a particular religion.  It's utter nonsense. 
Quote:  Simple or spirited discussions and that just point out the differences in religions or political parties can label you as ignorant or a racist or bigot.

She went much farther than just pointing out differences between the 3 religions.  There is nothing wrong (or racist/bigoted) with comparing/pointing out differences between different belief systems as long as the comparisons are based on facts and not on stereotypes.  The racism/bigotry enters in when the opinions are based on stereotypes.

The snippet Marty showed wasn't all she wrote.  She basically called every member of Islam a potential terrorist by wrongly stating that the religion's teachings promote terrorism and killing (and that its followers all believe that all Christians and Jews should be killed). Her views on the Jewish faith were also completely full of the typical stereotypes (i.e. bigotry).  Her views on both religions are apparently based only on sensationalist TV newscasts and not on any actual knowledge of the 2 religions' teachings.

In the email she showed that Pat sent her when she was readmitted to the group, Pat basically told her to take her opinions elsewhere  becasue SRG has several Islamic members (as well as Christians and Jews) and Pat didn't want that type of thing (bigotry) posted in the group.
I still say that folks are too defensive and sensitive to things anymore, and I don't recall reading that kind of stuff in her thread from Marty's snippet.  And, of course, what usually starts arguments is one person's *take* vs another's.  Give us any car accident anywhere, with 4 witnesses, and you'll get 4 different accounts of what actually happened, each vehemently insisting he/she is the one who's right.

Nuff said.  I can't really take a educated stance on something I did not actually witness.  :Smile
Quit merging threads!!  My little brain gets tooooooo confused.  :poopbanaana:
[quote author=Anita link=topic=3631.msg13534#msg13534 date=1146796333]
Quit merging threads!!  My little brain gets tooooooo confused.   :poopbanaana:
[/quote]

I'm done  Yellowtonguerazz

[quote author=bargainbloodhound link=topic=3631.msg13088#msg13088 date=1146117158]
I used to belong to an eBay Group Smile [/quote]

I just discovered today that I currently belong to an eBay group.  BuySafe apparently opted me into their group last year without letting me know. I don't think I missed much not knowing...cobwebs are growing on the submit post button there because it's so slow.
[quote author=Anita link=topic=3631.msg13534#msg13534 date=1146796333]
Quit merging threads!!  My little brain gets tooooooo confused.  :poopbanaana:
[/quote]
Agreed!
Pages: 1 2